Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: $27: Stealraise on the Button with A2 getting reraised

I just fold preflop, winning those blinds really doesn't change much and you are commited to calling the sb if he pushes and can easily lose chips postflop if the bb calls, and you'll rarely stack him with A2.

Obviously call the sb if you do raise here.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

on the contrary make the preflop raise 600. U prob have the best hand against 2 random hands and 600 will discourage any resteal from the sb as he knows that you are committed if he reraises all-in. Also, you are not risking your entire stack against the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

raising to 600 is pretty awful
Old 05-04-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2515)
UTG+1 (t3760)
CO (t895)
Hero (t2960)
SB (t1130)
BB (t2240)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t1130 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

I hate these spots. SB was a solid regular and after his reraise I get nice pot odds, but I'm probably dominated or I'm against a pocketpair. Do you call anyway or do you fold? When would you call?
Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored] is there some nit advice being thrown around here. First of all raising to 400-450 and folding is not a horrible play sometimes. If the BB is a complete pansy and won't raise without a monster, then you should be raising cause his re-raise spills what his hand is.

I agree with folding, but if you are going to raise against a regular, I think you need to raise to 600. Raising to 400 allows the SB to re-shove and make you make a lay down saving 730 chips. By raising to 600, the regular may believe that you will committ the next 530 chips anyway since the pot is already so large.

Another thing, how is your image? Have you tried this play before and had the same result? If you've shown that you can fold to a re-raise the regular may have picked up on this and may be testing you again.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM

fold preflop. No need to for you pick up blinds here, if you are RRed, there is a very good chance you are behind or not really that well ahead of anything. I'd say in this spot, A9 (maybe A8) is where you want to start doing your Ax raises.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM

Since the SB only has about 7.5 BBs, you don't raise this if you aren't willing to call SB's push. Raise to 450 to let the SB know you are committed to call his push and that he has no fold equity. Open-folding, however, is probably best.

If you were HU against the SB, you would just push (or fold). You open-raise rather than push so you can fold if the BB wakes up with a hand and pushes.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Best option: fold
Good option: raise to 375-450
Bad options: raising &gt; 450 or pushing
Old 05-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Raise folding here is unbelievably awful. Whether I raise here is completely read dependent.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 AM

u need to call 730 to win 1680

that means u need to win this hand, we need to win this 30% of the time to make it a profitable call, if he has a higher ace ur about 28% to win and if he has a PP its close to that also, plus u can be ahead of a hand like KQ or QJ, KJ

the value of u picking up chips is big here to cash and if u lose u still have chips, also players wont try making as many plays on u if they see u call this light also, all the factors included i call
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

on the contrary make the preflop raise 600. U prob have the best hand against 2 random hands and 600 will discourage any resteal from the sb as he knows that you are committed if he reraises all-in. Also, you are not risking your entire stack against the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

raising to 600 is pretty awful

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I think its a pretty good play in this spot - you're effectively putting SB all in and you are leaving enough behind to fold if the BB comes over the top. Its not the bubble, so the BB has no reason to jam (and risk his stack)unless he has a hand here. Also, its not a particularly unusually sized raise (4xBB)
Old 05-04-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise folding here is unbelievably awful. Whether I raise here is completely read dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are raising into two rocks and the BB wakes up and shoves. If you have a great read raise folding can be the smart move.

Of course, most of the time at best you have a semi-accurate read.