Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Turning another players cards....

Game: NLHoldem tourney.

Hand history isn't too important so wont go into too much detail. Was a noisey game with plenty of drink involved.

All players fold to button who raises. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: Ad Ts 2c

BB bets half-pot
Button raises x3
BB thinks for a bit and goes all-in
Back to the button who pauses for thought. The BB flipped over his own cards out of turn revealing pocket 88's and then went and turned his opponents cards face up revealing JQs. The BB claimed he thought they were both all-in.

Tournament director had never seen this happen before and either had I. Decision was made that The BB's hand was voided and the pot went to the Button (the pot before the BB's all-in)

If there is an official ruling or any thoughts on this, please let me know. I think we made a fair desicion but really need to know what should happen next in this situation?

Cheers
Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Turning another players cards....

you don't touch another man's cards. he's lucky he didn't get punched in the throat
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks, I realize it's ridiculous alright but I would like to know the official rule on this
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I realize it's ridiculous alright but I would like to know the official rule on this

[/ QUOTE ]

official? isn't this a home game? yeah, official punch to the throat
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM

lol...Legend
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM

lol
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 PM

I see no reason to "void" BB's hand.

there are two issues here.

1) BB exposed his cards while there was still action pending. Under TDA rules this would not cause the hand to be dead, however it is grounds for a penalty (ranging from warning to hands away form the table). there is no reason to kill the BB's hand here. And the button still gets to decide whether to call or not.

2) BB exposed button's cards.his sounds like the worse of the two transgressions, but in terms of its affect on the game actually is the lesser -- why because in this instance BB was already all-in -- knowledge of the buttons cards could not affect the play of this hand. The only problem is that if Button had chosen to fold BB would not have been entitled to knowledge of what those cards were (however contrary to what many people here think this is not that big a deal). I would however be inclined to penalize BB for this transgression with hands away from the table, but I see no reason whatsoever to kill the current hand.

Overall I would be inclined to give the player a penalty of having to miss two orbits around the table.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM

I agree with psandman, provided this was a first offense. Touching another players' cards is a serious offense. Also, the TDA has changed time penalties to rounds, which I think is a better way to administer penalties. To me, home game rulings should be fair and not rely on technicalities.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) BB exposed button's cards.his sounds like the worse of the two transgressions, but in terms of its affect on the game actually is the lesser -- why because in this instance BB was already all-in -- knowledge of the buttons cards could not affect the play of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand, no. but if the Button was making a play then this action would reveal his cards and reveal his playing style...

i say kill the hand because i can't imagine the pure gal that it would require to do something like that.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2) BB exposed button's cards.his sounds like the worse of the two transgressions, but in terms of its affect on the game actually is the lesser -- why because in this instance BB was already all-in -- knowledge of the buttons cards could not affect the play of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand, no. but if the Button was making a play then this action would reveal his cards and reveal his playing style...

i say kill the hand because i can't imagine the pure gal that it would require to do something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOPHHH his style is revealed. I am constantly amazed at how much people on this forum think the value of this isformation from a hand is worth. I would have no problem playing and showing my cards after every single hand against the vast majority of opponents without any concern that it in any way handicapped me.

As far as killing the hand for gall have never heard of this rule, but I think you missed something in this anyway. The player didn't flip over his opponents cards out of gall. He mistakenly believed that the player was all-in and that there was no further action, and it was the button was had the gall to refuse to flip over his cards like he was supposed to. You see the player was mistaken, not acting out "gall"