Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: KK in bb, with many limp callers

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a rebuy tourney? Stacks seem pretty high for the 15/30 level in a freeze-out. Because if it is a rebuy, I'm just pushing (and often just pushing preflop, depending on the buy-in).

[/ QUOTE ]

They run some tournies where starting stacks are 3000.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 AM

I think PF was fine though now you know you can raise it up even more than (3xbb +1xbb/limper) next time you come in raising since this table is calling big raises....On the Flop I would probably overbet the pot slightly making it 1200 and then call a push and/or get the rest in on turn
Old 05-04-2007, 10:25 AM

I read this too quickly the first time. It now does look like a low buy-in rebuy in which case I change my advice to the following.

Raise to 500 preflop and shove flop.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think PF was fine though now you know you can raise it up even more than (3xbb +1xbb/limper) next time you come in raising since this table is calling big raises....On the Flop I would probably overbet the pot slightly making it 1200 and then call a push and/or get the rest in on turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Why overbet the pot on the flop? The pot is big enough that you can bet 1/2 pot to 3/4 pot and get all the money in on the turn or river.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read this too quickly the first time. It now does look like a low buy-in rebuy in which case I change my advice to the following.

Raise to 500 preflop and shove flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty results-oriented. You won't be happy when you raise to 500 and take the pot preflop.

I wouldn't assume that you are playing total morons who will limp/call off 1/6 of their stacks. Some of the limp/callers probably have pps or suited connectors and think they have odds to play. If you make it 500, no one draws out on you, but probably take the pot preflop.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty results-oriented. You won't be happy when you raise to 500 and take the pot preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play a lot of low buy-in rebuys at PokerStars and I have found that overbets preflop are called frequently and I would not expect all limpers to fold here. It simply doesn't happen enough to not make this overbet.

Just yesterday I had this exact hand in one of these tourneys. I made an overbet preflop in the BB and got two callers. An A came on the flop and I checked. Player 1 bet pot, player 2 moved in and I folded. Player 1 showed A8 and Player 2 showed AT.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM

I think a slightly larger raise would knock off 1 or 2 others, the hands you really are looking to knock out are Ax that are trying to hit an Ace. I would say a raise to around 300 would be good. I don't want to play this hand 5 way, but 3 way isn't terrible. The most likely outcome here is you will receive action on the flop from a flush draw(seemingly people like to draw to flushes sometimes regardless of the bet) and probably a strong jack, AJ or KJ, people will even get out of line as week as QJ or 10J on this flop. As someone noted, this is not a straight/2 pair looking board. As played, i would bet about 800 or so.

Here is a followup question i always have trouble with.

Assume in the above scenario you bet 800 and get called by 2 players. Now the 10 Clubs peels off on the turn, first to act whats your play? Whats your play if only 1 person called you on the flop?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 PM

In fact, if this were a low rebuy on Stars, if you just shove preflop you will get at least 1 caller about 70% of the time.

But given that no one seems to have 6000+ chips, my guess is either this isn't a rebuy or it's a passive table, so I'd go with the advice to raise to like 300 preflop.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see an A high flush draw coming over the top and even AJ, QQ or perhaps TT getting overly frisky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Chances are ~0% that any of the limpers has TT+ here. I'd expect to see stuff like JT+.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:32 PM

I would have made it T325 preflop. Lead the flop for 2/3 pot. Looking to get it in by the turn.