Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 AM

Default KK hates the river uNL - line check

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($5.80)
CO ($12.05)
Button ($9.65)
Hero ($15.05)
BB ($2.45)
UTG ($1.85)
UTG+1 ($26.25)
MP1 ($5.90)
MP2 ($7.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, MP1 calls $1.

Turn: ($2.90) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP1 calls $2.

River: ($6.90) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1.9</font>, Hero calls $1.90.

Final Pot: $10.70

All comments welcome.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: KK hates the river uNL - line check

Any read on the villain? I play the same until Turn. I c/f River w/o a read.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:27 AM

I think I fold river. If he's making that oh-please-god-call-me value bet behind your check, he's got a heart over 90% of the time.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 AM

I might bet a little less on the turn. 1.75? Heads up you don't need to put as much out there on the turn to take away his odds. River either way is check/fold. I don't think many NL10 players bet here without a heart. He called, drew out on you, now don't pay him off.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 AM

I raise a little more preflop (to 50c), bet a little less on the flop (though I don't mind the overbet), I bet less on the turn and c/f the river unless villain has a history of bluffing a lot.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:48 AM

JoRoLa is my rl girlfriend, and I prompted her to make this post when she was distraught by the hand she "absolutely butchered". She's been playing/studying for 6 months or so, and has been a better than breakeven player since day 1.

Preflop: I make it $0.50 because we're out of position. The raise to $0.40 is still far from terrible IMO.

Flop: When first teaching her to play I gave her a golden rule. "Never, on the flop or turn, bet less than 1/2 pot, or more than the full pot ever, until you are much more experienced and can find spots to deviate from this."

I absolutely love the overbet on the flop here. Personally I'd have bet 3/4 pot out of reflex, but under scrutiny have to admit the overbet is better. Good job finding a spot to break the rule.

Turn: We've shown a lot of strength so far, and he's still coming. Here I believe a bet is still best, but lets back it off to 2/3 or 3/4 pot or so. This is sufficient to overcharge him if he's still drawing. Again your play is far from a mistake. $2 is close to optimal IMO.

River: My initial reaction was that this is a pretty terrible call. After my initial reaction, I realized that it might not be as bad as it seems, especially if villain is a bluffinstuff kind of player (reads here Jo? What was your impression of him from previous hands? It seems from stacksizes that you've been at the same table for awhile, and should have some idea of his tendencies.). I don't think a villain can be bluffy enough to make this a profitable call (even with the tree-mendous pot odds being offered), but I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as my gut initially told me. In the grand scheme of things, I believe that this was a relatively small mistake (but still in need of fixing: no more spite calls!).

All in all, well played except for the river, which is not nearly as bad as you made it out to be.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:11 AM

This guy hand been playing about half his hands. It was all a wide variety; but seemed to favor what I call lose connectors (eg, J9, Q10). Sorry I do not remember the proper term. My thoughts were that he liked straights. I do not remember him playing any flush draws; everything seemed to be off-suit. I saw the 4 diamonds and groaned. But as runout_mick said - I think the thought, "damnit I have KK!" got in the way. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the grand scheme of things, I believe that this was a relatively small mistake (but still in need of fixing: no more spite calls!).

All in all, well played except for the river, which is not nearly as bad as you made it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right Hun. A lesson reinforced the hard way. But thanks for all the coaching, encouragement and support. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]