Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Resteal or Stop n go?

what is this talk about "villain has some chips to gamble with"? He has to put in half his remaining stack to call a push.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is this talk about "villain has some chips to gamble with"? He has to put in half his remaining stack to call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that I would not be surprised to see calls from a lot of mediocre holdings because he will still have a decent sized stack if he loses. With a stack of 10K, I would say that his calling range is almost as wide as his raising range here.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that I would not be surprised to see calls from a lot of mediocre holdings because he will still have a decent sized stack if he loses. With a stack of 10K, I would say that his calling range is almost as wide as his raising range here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Havent you noticed that often, a big stack will be raising very light when first in, particularly in LP?

SO, they generally steal when no one else has nothing, get paid off big when they hit a hand.

And what do they do when someone stands up to them, shoves on them, and denies any odds to them?

Hint, the answer rhymes with bold
Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 AM

His calling range is tons smaller than his raising range. Easy push preflop.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Havent you noticed that often, a big stack will be raising very light when first in, particularly in LP?

SO, they generally steal when no one else has nothing, get paid off big when they hit a hand.

And what do they do when someone stands up to them, shoves on them, and denies any odds to them?

Hint, the answer rhymes with bold

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, internet players don't make bad calls, especially not in 1 dollar tourneys.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Lots of people have given thier opinions on what to do here, but there's been no discussion (here at least) of the criteria by which good players decide between a resteal and a stop-and-go in spots like this.

This is an area I certainly want to be better at so I was hoping some of the better players here could walk us through your thought process. Ignoring the fact that this is a $1 tourney, what's your basis for deciding this? What factors sway it one way or the other?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Villain has raised 4.5x. Is this a standard raise for this villain? A normal raise here would be somewhere between 2.5x and 3x.

If you shove, there will be 200 + 1800 + 1800 + 8(25) = 4000 in the pot, and it will cost villain exactly another 4000 to call. I see villain folding very few hands where he has initially raised 4.5x to start with, AND is getting 2:1 to call a shove. Hence stop and go is better here.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people have given thier opinions on what to do here, but there's been no discussion (here at least) of the criteria by which good players decide between a resteal and a stop-and-go in spots like this.

This is an area I certainly want to be better at so I was hoping some of the better players here could walk us through your thought process. Ignoring the fact that this is a $1 tourney, what's your basis for deciding this? What factors sway it one way or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave my thought process, but I seem to be in minority, so I'm probably wrong. This definetely is not a resteal though. If its a push, its for value.

Good post on restealing from Ansky
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...101&page=0

Raymer on the Stop-n-go
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import