Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Awful WSOP news from PokerStars

[ QUOTE ]
So what hotel is everyone going to be staying at? Are any Novas going to take up stars on this Treasure Island offer? Is Treasure Island even any good? Why there? If I don't, how much should I expect to pay. I've never been to Vegas and I've never booked a hotel anywhere in my life so I'm stressing already. Any ideas/help would be great.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Treasure Island is *OK*, I mean its a nice hotel, compared to Hotels around the U.S., but as for Vegas strip hotels, its one of the lower budget ones. The pool blows IMO. Obviously Stars is not gonna put you up in the super swanky joints on their own dime.

I dont think there is a poker room there, but its right next to the Wynn, 5 min walk for some side action. However, if you want to get to the MGM/Bellagio area you need a cab unless you like walking for miles in 110 degree heat.

And the Rio is off the strip so no matter where you stay, you'll have to cab it there. PS had a shuttle bus from TI to the Rio every year for their players, not sure if thats still available this year.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 PM

I got my notice from PokerStars also, and already got the money in my account. I'm very disappointed. I think the numbers will be way down this year.

I'm sure that the legal advice that Harrah's received is the reason for this unfortunate development. As I've stated in several of my other posts, as of a few months ago the unofficial word that I had from those in a position to know, was that Harrah's was going to do its best to look the other way with respect to third party buy-ins from online sites.

If 'Stars (the granddaddy of online WSOP qualifiers) was unable to work something out on this score, I'm sure it's not for lack of effort on its part.

Just as everyone else, I'm now trying to work out my own best response. I'm going to Vegas for the whole WSOP, for sure-- but I'm mostly a cash game player, although I've played in the ME the last few years, courtesy of the double shootout qualifiers on 'Stars. Part of the attraction of playing in the main event the last few years was the overlay offered by all the online donkey qualifiers (of course, I don't put myself in the category of online donkey qualifier.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). If a good chunk of these people decide to pocket the $10K rather than play, my own interest in playing the ME goes down as well. I can always stick to ring games.

In all likelihood, I'll go to Vegas and do the ring game thing for a few weeks, and try to get some feel for how big the ME field will be, and judge from there.

But all of this is a far cry from the old days of having 'Stars just buy me in and being automagically registered. This just plain sucks, no two ways about it...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM

This years WSOP is not even going to have half the number of players of last year.
That means way less media attention.
I'm trying to figure out Harrah's... Whats their game?
They look like complete idiots, so there must be something I'm overlooking.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the last half of that sentance is "from companies that service US customers"

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
Where's the other half of the sentence then?
Not in the email i got...

[/ QUOTE ]

bump b/c this is an important Q
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out Harrah's... Whats their game?
They look like complete idiots, so there must be something I'm overlooking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think maybe in a few years the only way to qualify for the ME online will be at the Harrahs dot com poker site.
Of course, them being complete idiots is always a good option also.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 PM

Wow, this really sucks. As of now Aids > Harrahs.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM

I know, i won't spend any money on 10k donkament, so if i win an entry - i'll keep the cash.
Shame though, i wanted to play, but if i know, i am getting cash instead - i won't have the heart to spend it on one, even huge, donkament.

Sound stupid, but i played to win the entry, not the cash...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Do any of you read the WSOP site? The WSOP added new rules this year. One was no online site that allowed US players to play could not reg. there players for the WSOP. Second no online site that allows US players will be allow to wear there site logo at the WSOP.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM

This is important news.

There are two related consequences that has not been addressed.

1) What happens to the VIP $12,000 WSOP package? Will it be removed from the VIP store? What about players who have already used this?

2) For those players going for Supernova Elite, will the WSOP option be removed too?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:19 PM

keeps getting worse and worse.