Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Every WPT final table is a crapshoot

[ QUOTE ]
While I agree completely with your assessment of the WPT structure Greg, it seems a little funny to me that the guy who was fortunate enough to win the WSOP ME is complaining about the high amount of variance in tournament poker.

You should know from experience, variance can be your friend also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't get your point. Just because I won a huge tournament, and had to get lucky to do so, has nothing to do with my preferences for a fast and extra lucky structure vs. a slow and less-luck-involved structure.

The issue is skill related. I think I have more skill than my average opponents, and that means I prefer the slower structure that minimizes luck as much as is reasonably possible. While no structure can remove luck from the equation, there is no need for us to maximize the luck component either. All the WPT needs to do is to be willing to pay the camera crew overtime, and they could take those 30 minute levels and turn them into 1 hour levels instead, and greatly reduce the luck factor at their final table.

When David Williams and I got heads-up, we had about 190 and 70 big blinds, or about 260 big blinds total. When Tuan Le and Paul Maxfield got heads-up in the WPT championship, they had a combined total of about 27 big blinds. This is ridiculous for a supposedly World Championship event, where the HU play is reduced to fold or all-in preflop as the only reasonable moves.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 02-24-2006, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Every WPT final table is a crapshoot

I hate Paul Maxfield.