Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Default When to go to showdown?

In the 6 max limit games I am finding myself being superagressive with most pocket pairs and aces espacially ajo and above (probably a9o if I'm honest).
Once i get into a heads up pot, I've always raised pf or 3 bet unless im on the button, I've got a tendancy to keep firing until the river.

I have had a decent ammount of sucass in getting heads up, and then using the equity in the money left behind to support my hand. Some I win, some I loose. So far with sucess.

My question is this. With hands like ak aq and aj is it + ev to fire on the flop and turn nearly all the time regardless of the flop?

Whatabout 77 on a QT2 board?

I know its player dependant but I do play in the loosest games and people will call you down ace high or less and call 2 streets with a gutshot or call flush and straight drraws HU all the time.

Once I've gunned my way to the turn with two overcards staring me in the face how often am I beat? Take the QT2 board with the 7s. The players i play against are calling with 9t, any pocket pairs smaller than mine and aj and ak as well as all the garbage which has me beat and almost drawing dead.

Am I okay to play almost 2 card poker here or would a few more laydowns help me?

What's the ideal went to SD% on PT and what folds are in order to hit that figure?

Comments appreciated.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: When to go to showdown?

[ QUOTE ]
My question is this. With hands like ak aq and aj is it + ev to fire on the flop and turn nearly all the time regardless of the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are no absolutes like this in poker. Bet if you'll get called by worse hands or if you'll fold out better ones. check behind if you'll induce bluffs by worse hands but get folds otherwise.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM

On hands I like that, I see it sort of like you. Bet to protect the 7s on the turn and the flop. Then on the river I often check and call, because I know most players will bet almost any time you check, even with nothing. You don't win them all, and it's tough to know when your beat on the end. I fold a lot of A highs on the end and call more with small pairs, hoping to catch an A high bluffing.

welcome to 2+2
The Fonzz
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM

I find in very loose games you are never folding out a better hand in these situations. Sometimes your AJo is value betting the turn. If the games are very passive and I know a player is not folding any pair I try to get to the river as cheaply as possible. I am still c-betting the flop every time if HU and very often if 3 way but will sometimes try to check down my hands like A high with overcards and a gutshot or just overcards. The reason for this is that loose passive fish are calling you every time when you are beat (and sometimes when your not) but often wont bet that bottom pair or small pocket pair so you get to checkdown for free. Also many of them never bluff the river after checking down so you can still see if your hand is good for free.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM

A hi shouldnt be bluffing very often unless theyre retarded

guru summed it up about as best as u can, its about reading hands and assessing board texture to know when to ck behind and fold, ck behind and call or value bet the turn for a free showdown. The things uve mentioned about loose calls are pretty common, use position and go ahead and bet A hi or better often on boards where many worse hands/ draws will call, its an effective overall strategy to get them to continue to call with weak hands, ur conditioning them to ck call 3 streets oop with anything since theyve seen u bet A hi on the turn and then u can own them with value bets later on. If they start check-raising the turn a lot u ll hvae to adjust obviously, but bet folding those showdownable hands is still best even if it doesnt seem like it if theyre only cr'ing the turn with TP or better and rarely semi-bluffing.