Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu - Great Insider Gossip

[ QUOTE ]
I am interpreting your posts to mean that you think Negreanu is lucky to not be flat broke right now. And by flat broke I mean into a bunch of people for a lot of money. I'm assuming you think he's a very good poker player who has thrown a lot of luck and money down the drain. I don't think anyone, including Negreanu himself, would disagree with that. The question is, why should he be criticized for it? At least it's entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea whether those stories about Daniel are true or not. Whether someone should be criticized for losing big money on negative EV bets is a subject for the SMP forum.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think that Sklansky is one of the greatest gamblers of our time. He and Negreanu are just different types of gamblers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, stop. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

lol @ david trying to have a reasonable gambling theory conversation in NVG.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 AM

All I can say is that the OP can't be taken seriously. An argument is never, like a chain, stronger than it's weakest link.

Why would Daniel post on his public forum that he is a winner in cash games and in tournaments if he wasn't? It makes no sense. You have to realize that he has to pay taxes on his winnings, so if he is reporting he's a winner he has to pay taxes. I doubt he'd post winnings on his site just so that he can pay taxes on winnings he's never made.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is that the OP can't be taken seriously. An argument is never, like a chain, stronger than it's weakest link.

Why would Daniel post on his public forum that he is a winner in cash games and in tournaments if he wasn't? It makes no sense. You have to realize that he has to pay taxes on his winnings, so if he is reporting he's a winner he has to pay taxes. I doubt he'd post winnings on his site just so that he can pay taxes on winnings he's never made.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait.....random excerpts from posts declaring earnings on relatively obscure poker forums are now the standard for reporting self employment income?

I'm gonna have my tax law professor's ass for this one....
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM

I dont know that I would say fcp is a randomly obscure poker forum, but it would be stupid to overstate your earning on a public forum.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 AM

may I just point out that the reds are pwning some newbs in this thread.

And zomg!!@ Someone is trying to make a public image slightly different that it really is. Alert the media!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 PM

negreanu posted a response on his forum

"They posted my address? Sklansky and Malmuth saw that and didn't have it removed? Is this true?

As for the OP's post, there is only one shred of truth in it. I did rent my old place from Jennifer and Marco. Almost all of the information is completely off base. For example, I am ahead in cash games over the last two years, albeit in limited play. As for golf losses, he claimed 600K.... it was more than a million in 2006. I lost 600K to one player alone over the summer! Yes, I am officially a golf sucker in every sense of the word, lol. A whale who tries to make fair games. Oh well.

As for why I rented rather than bought the old house, I knew that it was going to be a temporary home for me. Also, being a Canadian living in the U.S. I wasn't sure as to the best way to buy a home in Vegas. My mother owns her house in Las Vegas, just five minutes away from me. Apparently she's been winning big at the slots to cover the mortgage wink.gif

As for me owing anybody money, I owe one of my friends $50,000 and another friend $150,000. That's pretty common in "our world" and the reason they haven't been paid is because I haven't seen them. Oh wait, I owe another friend $12,500.

There is a significant difference between owing someone money and not having it, and owing someone money that is sitting in your box at the Bellagio or in the bank.

I'm not going to go over to 2+2 to reply to the OP's post. I realize that I'm "kind of" doing that here anyway, but I don't plan on getting into a debate with the posters over their about a private matter, such as my finances.

His post was so weird? So much of it was like, huh? Why would I be moving into a bigger house if I was broke? As for Kirk, yes, I did have a piece of him (how much is absolutely nobody's business), but what makes no sense is that the OP posted that I staked Kirk in a $25k event, yet was ALSO being staked myself??? Huh?

Anyway, I'm done with it. I have loads more I want to say on the subject, but none of it is productive so I'll just leave it alone. The thing is, even if I was completely broke, that's not something I'd even be ashamed of really? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and I HAVE been broke before. Many times. It's all part of the learning process. Obviously if I were to go broke now it would be a little more troubling, but it wouldn't destroy me.

THE OTHER RUMOR

My agent, Brian Balsbaugh talks to lots of companies about potential endorsement deals or sponsorship deals. Half the time, I'm totally unaware of who he is talking to as he is a busy guy that's on the phones a lot. The vague rumor report on pokernews.com has some truth to it. The online poker landscape has changed dramatically since the UIGEA and there is tons of speculation about what the future holds. Recent news is actually rather promising as there seems to be more of an effort to make this an issue in Washington."

as much as people bash him, this was a great response...