Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Where did I go wrong on this hand? (10c/25c NL)

Now I realize I played this hand badly. But my question is at what point should I be getting away from this one? I have BB ranked as TA. Do I give this one up after he comes over the top preflop? I figured him for a higher pair but the hearts led me on after the flop and had issues counting my outs because the 2 J's and then assuming 9 hearts left i was figuring on 11 or so. But thats negating the fact that he didn't have a higher heart which is a bad assumption i'm guessing. Any input would be great on this one.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($21.50)
CO ($17.15)
Button ($41.80)
Hero ($46)
BB ($18.20)
UTG ($29.45)
UTG+1 ($32.35)
MP1 ($25.85)
MP2 ($22.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.75</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls $1.75.

Flop: ($6) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, BB calls $2.50.

Turn: ($11) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $12.95</font>, Hero calls $8.95.

River: ($36.90) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $36.90
Old 05-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Where did I go wrong on this hand? (10c/25c NL)

What are you trying to accomplish with your flop bet? Is it for value, is it a bluff, or is it a blocking bet?

If it's either of the first two, it's way too small, IMO, and doesn't make sense if you're putting him on an overpair.

Also, putting him on just an overpair seems pretty tight to me, especially at this level. AQ/AK could easily be in his preflop range.

After calling the 4bet preflop, I probably check/call flop and definitely check/fold turn.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 AM

Raise more preflop. You're out of position with two limpers. BB's range could be huge here, your raise looks so weak. I hate the flop bet too, it's too small. Under normal circumstances I'd say it looks like you won the hand and maybe villain had AhKx and sensed that you were drawing with overcards.

His call on the flop doesn't really make sense to me unless he has a big hand already with no heart or a just a big heart. I'd push allin over you on the turn too, what's the with 1/3 pot bets?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 AM

Hmm.. my flop bet felt like a probe bet (to see if he had the overpair) but at the same time it felt like a semi-bluff to me, which in that case may have been too small.

As far as putting him on an overpair, poker tracker had him showing pretty tight ( 13VPIP).
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 AM

I would consider letting this go preflop. Unless you have notes otherwise hes probably not getting fancy here and has you crushed.

He doesnt really have enough of a stack to call for set value. Also, dont count a heart as an out, if the four flush comes you have a very weak one. If you chose to donk any of these streets you have to do it 3/4-pot size but I would advocate a clear fold here.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 AM

He had AA (club/heart).
Old 05-02-2007, 02:33 AM

fathazam if he had an overpair then you pretty much did his job for him and suckered yourself into this hand. Just raise more preflop next time with hands that are hard to play out of position.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 AM

yeah unfortunately thats pretty much exactly what you could expect here. oh well, this is a good hand to take away a couple things from (definitely review some threads in the sticky about bet sizing) and easily fixable mistakes.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:37 AM

Thanks guys, its starting to come together.. The preflop raise was too weak .. I was trying to entice other people in but that was a bad idea considering the odds he would be getting even with one over card to my pair.

The small bets were more than anything because I was confused and didn't feel like I could check cause I didnt' want him drawing overs for free, but at the same time I didn't want to be feeding into an overpair.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 AM

Are you saying you'd raise all in if you had the AA or because of my betting pattern?

Also, my thought is this, If he does have an over pair with a heart, does a 3/4 pot bet scare your avg guy out? I'd have a hard time letting that one go.