Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: A Golf Brag w/(BV)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
GoldenIP,
I'm a 2 HDCP and I've had a 68 and 92 in the past month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats hard to believe. Was that 92 the first round of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]
I live in Phoenix. My first round of the year comes in January. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Three big things working against me in that 92:

- a course I really don't like and have never played well on (Phoenix CC)
- had lifted weights hard the day before and was very sore
- perhaps the big one, I was stone cold sober...I am honestly like a 12 HDCP sober, that's why the swing oil comes out before the first hole, even if the tee time is at 7AM [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It was just a perfect storm. I shot a 98 (!) at Troon North last fall during a phase where I was trying to play completely sober. Total disaster. And that was under easy conditions, up one tee.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i've never understood how people play golf while drinking. everyone i know either needs to be drinking to play well or cant play while drinking. i cant do it.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was alway humble that unless you're ave. 70-71 in college tourney's, EVEN IF YOU DO HAVE A SCRATCH CAP, that you are not anywhere near good enough to play PGA tour. It's that simple and Tour Golf is THAT hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's so obvious it shouldn't even need to be said.

That BBV4L thread makes my head hurt. It's my opinion that THE JUICE is completely wrong, and I'm not sure why he feels compelled to nit up your threads with his uninformed opinion. The poor grammar makes it even worse.

Also, you shot a 67 in that thread and a 66 in this one. I'm guessing you meant 66 as it's a par 71.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 PM

~+4 handicap or better in tournament rounds begins to approach competetive status i think.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 PM

ghostface,

I need to drink to "quiet the voices". Seriously, a gentle buzz takes the edges off enough to where I play by feel and don't overanalyze. EDIT: I play in a couple of competitive tournaments every June, and my teammate MAKES SURE I'm drinking all round. He knows my game. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Quick story, but this may not be the thread for it, maybe I'll post it again if a more relevant one comes along. My father is old friends with Dave Stockton Sr., and about 20 years ago at a tournament in Iowa they run into each other. "Rich", he says, "my new sponsor won't let me drink when I play. So I'm gonna snap hook this drive into the trees and I need you to be waiting there with a couple of beers". Sure enough, snap hook, my father is waiting with two beers, Stockton punches out to the fairway, pounds the beers, and continues on with his round. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 04:15 PM

tuq,

Do you think it is just a mental thing? Do you have to drink while playing poker as well?

I function well while drinking and have drank for 19 holes and played fine, but I can't imagine playing that much more poorly when NOT drinking.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Sluss,

I don't have to drink while playing poker, but I usually do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It takes a lot of Coronas at a B&M to get me in trouble, or affect my play. But the reason I do it on the golf course is to calm my nerves - the mental aspect of the game causes me to screw up physically. Pretty sad, I know. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]