Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Call RR?? or fold?

$10 sng 10 left 5 at our table.

Villian has made a couple of resteals and pushes on me after I laid a bad beat on him, but has generally been TAgish.

BB has been passive. I have folded to pushes a couple of time in the last few rounds.

PF Bet size was to discoarage a push by Button and SB as they both have been reraising lots and to match the BBs stack. Maybe not a good idea, but I thought I had to mix it up.
A) Should I call this push???
B) Thoughts on opening with odd larger amounts. Usually I only do it to match a small stack and make their options AI or Fold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

BB (t875)
UTG (t4150)
Hero (t2290)</font>
Button (t1965)</font>
SB (t2790)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, Q.
1 fold</font>, Hero raises to t750</font>, Button raises to t1965</font>
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Call RR?? or fold?

Hmm, you are at the stage of the tourney when I think that all ins and re-steals are probably more likely than in the earlier stages.

So I would be inclined to keep your open raise to 3x BB. Thats because its easier to get away from your hand if you are re-raised, and although you have a nice hand it seems a little bit light in high card strength for my liking, if you did decide to call a push.

I am not sure how often Taggish players would re-steal all in with a weak hand in the later stage of a tournament, mainly because I still have not had that much experience so far.

However, I have noticed that when I have been faced with similar decisions, having open raised in late position on the bubble, that an all in re-raise usually seems to indicate a genuinely decent or strong hand.

So, I would have open raised 3x BB and folded to the push in this hand.

I would also have considered (although this might seem weak) just limping, as I would not have minded seeing a flop with this hand if other players also decided to limp.

I would be interested to hear what other players think about the possibility of just limping. Feel free to flame away, if you strongly think that it would be wrong to do so.

Oh, to answer your final question. I would only open raise with a larger amount if I was going to just push all in. I think that would probably be better than a smaller open raise and calling a push.

However, it seems a bit early to me to push all in hoping to win the blinds, given your stack size.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:19 PM

A) You're pot odds are through the roof you have to call.
B) If you're going to price yourself in by betting so much just push. That way they can't stop-n-go you or something.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM

You were a victim of your own plan. Raising 40% of your opponent's stack might get him to fold, but it also makes it impossible for you to get away from your hand when he pushes. Your odds are just too good. With 15BB, an open push is a little much. Your stack is much better for restealing than it is for stealing outright. But here, I'd just make it 3x and fold if he sticks the rest in.

--TFGoose