Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Fantasy Sports Pros?

do they exist?

i suspect they do, but i've never met one or really heard of one.

by pro i mean a guy whose only job is to be in a bunch of fantasy leagues (bb, fb, bkb) and he makes a solid living doing so apart from any sportsbetting that he does.

im just thinking that since fantasy sports are so huge now and that in the couple leagues im in there are so many monkeys making monkey moves and since there is so little juice in them, that if i could be in like 50 of them at the same time, i could probably make a living doing just fantasy sports. spending like 30 hours a week keeping up my teams, watching games, keeping track of injuries, etc., would be even more fun than poker i think and easier to beat (for me at least) then betting on sports vs. sportbooks.

i know that cbs.sportsline has public leagues that you can join, but the juice, if i remember correctly, is like 50% or some [censored]. are there public leagues out there that have reasonable juice?

is this even possible? are any of you making 50k$/yr+ doing fantasy alone?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Fantasy Sports Pros?

Don't think this is possible, anyone that into fantasy would probably rely on sportsbetting for the substance of his income. Think about it, you would have to pay all your league fees up front and obv not get any returns until the end of the season. Nodoby likes having thier money tied up that long. < that is just my .02c
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM

I didn't even know they had fantasy leagues for real money, that must be the sharper nerds of the bunch. lol.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM

ill bump once and let it die (give up the dream!).
Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 PM

People talked about this in the past. The consensus was the vig is too high to do it through any of the major websites.

Traveling across the country and doing various "home-game" leagues sounds utterly pathetic.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 PM

I can't imagine that you could do this for $50K/yr.

The NFBC is a $5,000 entry for a $100,000 grand prize, and obviously that's not something you can do "professionally". It's the biggest open event that I'm aware of.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 AM

Impossible for the reasons stated- vig is too high given that any league with a high payout would be stacked with other good to very good players. Fantasy Sports leagues can definitely be +EV if you do the work, as I've made a fair amount of money on it. But its mostly a labor of love, and if you wanted to spend enough time getting good at it, you'd be better off studying handicapping.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 AM

Your covariance would also be terribly high. If leagues systematically undervalue certain players you'll have many of the same players on many of your teams. Variance does not a full-time job make.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 PM

you guys have made some great points - thanks.

im in a couple leagues where 1/2 the guys dont make any transactions after draft night and so the leagues im in are amazingly EV+. i was just hoping there were similar leagues online that i could get in and have the same thing happen. but, i can see its not really possible for the reasons youve all stated above. i think in the next couple years, however, making a living this way could be a possibility (if competition goes up in the market, vig goes down and as fantasy sports get even more popular). thanks again for everyone's thoughts on the subject.