Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 12:49 PM

Default how many of last year\'s would win this year?

i so much enjoyed last year's more..... and without sanjaya, i would have written that first line weeks ago.

wondering how many contestants from last year would be the clear leader or at least right in the thick of things?

thinking daughtry, hicks, mcphee would run away with this year's competition...... elliott and paris i think would be the favorites..... and even pickler might be a strong contender (that might be pushing it though)

has AI run out of good contestants? seems to me you need voice, looks and charisma in the real world of music..... does one contestant remaining even combine voice with looks OR charism....

just my opinion, but the judge's excitement over jordan is laughable. completely scripted if you ask me. and i was pulling for jordin months ago when she was underdog. but now her push is comical, at least to me.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: how many of last year\'s would win this year?

Melinda and Jordin would easily be in there with Hicks, McPhee, Daughtry and Yamin. Melinda is the best singer of all of them . . . but she definitely does suffer in the looks department for sure (ie. not the total package that McPhee or Daughtry are)

The thing about Idol is that every year there is a new crop of kids turning 16 . . . so they are not likely to ever "run out" of undiscovered talent. Jordin is a perfect example of this. Sure she's a little rough a round the edges but what a voice !!. Get her on a diet plan and some serious vocal coaching and by the time she's 19-20 she could be a big big star.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:57 PM

melinda's a step or 2 above everyone in the last 2 seasons vocally
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Everything's better when you remember it. I can't recall a single season where I didn't hear people complaining it was the worst idol ever and none of the contestants would have a chance against the previous year's crop.

I think it's all in your head. 90% of idol finalists are passable wedding singers at best, and that cuts across all 6 seasons imo.

As for idol ever producing a new superstar, I have to admit I never thought anyone would even come close to Kelly but Carrie has done really well for herself and I see/hear her all the time, and not just on country stations.

One thing I am disappointed with is that they toned down the meanness... I so enjoyed the 'other door' incidents and the mocking of people with learning disabilities* (oh Red, you card!) Now I have to look elsewhere for my weekly dose of schadenfreude

*I don't actually like making fun of people with learning disabilities, but man were the early auditions something else this year.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM

i appreciate the responses....

i disagree that it's all look-back bias.... i looked really forward to the show so much last year, and this year i won't be watching anymore (and i lived up to that last week, and i will tonight).

i couldn't agree more about jordin needing a weight-loss program. she seems to be balooning with the stress of the competition (or maybe just a certain age and predisposed genetics).... unfortunately that's how the world works (should lose weight for her health anyways)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM

IMO, it isn't wise to abstain from watching AI if you're gambling on it. Also, if you consistently claim that you are no longer watching AI, what good are your comments about the contestants?

This isn't an attack on you, smbruin, or anyone specific for that matter, but think about it: If you stopped watching early in the competition, you would be confused about why everyone bashes Lakisha (except Vegan). The same logic applies here. Of course, you have every right to NOT watch the show - I couldn't care less - but how can you stop watching the show and continue to comment on it when things change every week?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree that it's all look-back bias

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. Some seasons are better than others. Fantasia's season sucked, and so does this one.

Last season, on the other hand, had a lot of very good singers, very interesting personalities/storylines, and a good mix of styles (country, hard-rock, blues, pop, etc.)

I'd say a dwindling talent pool is at least partially to blame. Gina Glocksen Top 10? She auditioned a bunch of times before and couldn't even get past Hollywood.

But a bigger problem is awful picks by the judges on who makes the Top 24. What about that cute blond country singer from the auditions? Have they not seen Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler's CD sales (and even Josh Gracin and Bucky Covington's)?

Like any reality show it's all in the casting. They cast a sucky lineup this year.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it isn't wise to abstain from watching AI if you're gambling on it. Also, if you consistently claim that you are no longer watching AI, what good are your comments about the contestants?

This isn't an attack on you, smbruin, or anyone specific for that matter, but think about it: If you stopped watching early in the competition, you would be confused about why everyone bashes Lakisha (except Vegan). The same logic applies here. Of course, you have every right to NOT watch the show - I couldn't care less - but how can you stop watching the show and continue to comment on it when things change every week?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been threatening to not watch it, but then i did every week that sanjaya was around.... last week i didn't watch, partly due to the special... and i won't be watching anymore.... my interest has always been more in the entertainment than the betting, although i have bet on it......

i just think this year is horrible and the proof will be in the pudding with me.

i did youtube jordin's performance last week, and randy's commments are an absolute embarassement.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:30 PM

BTW, weren't last week's show threads really small?... i guess others realized that it would be like watching a 2 hour infomercial (like the 1 hour elimination show isn't bad enough... EDIT: in fairness, elimination show was pretty bad last year too)
Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i did youtube jordin's performance last week, and randy's commments are an absolute embarassement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't be any more true.