Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Memphis tips

so, I'm going to Memphis this weekend for the Beale St Music festival. I've been to Memphis a few times, but would also like suggestions from any 2p2ers on how to improve my experience.

Give me some great places to eat, drink, and be merry.

Right now, all i have on my agenda is to hit the BBQ place that's entrance appears to be in an alley.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Memphis tips

No time for Tunica?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 PM

nah....not a poker trip
I've spent too much time in Tunica playing anyway

I'm in my late 20s
GF is in her early 20s
friends are within that span

we're just looking for places to eat and places to drink
we aren't big dancers
we do enjoy live music
we do enjoy booze
Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 PM

For Italian, Pete & Sam's - but if you want wine or booze, you have to BYOB, they only sell beer. Whatever you get, make sure you get a side order of spinach.

For BBQ downtown, Cozy Corner >>> everything else. http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=220

For a fancier dinner (but not too fancy), Jarrett's is the most underrated restaurant in town. It's really a great place if you're not from the area, since the chef focuses on southern regional specialties. http://www.jarretts.com/
Old 04-30-2007, 11:01 PM

See also:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5893860
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 PM

I lived in midtown Memphis for 3 years and have been away since 1999. Take this advice with that in mind.

Fino's (in Midtown on the corner of Madison and McLean) is the one place I always go when I'm back for a visit. It's a great sandwich shop/Italian deli. Too bad it's not really soup season because they do some great homemade soups. Fresh bread for the sandwiches and great quality meats. Be prepared for a wait no matter what time you go, and the opening hours are a bit limited. Lunch is your best bet.

Huey's does a great burger. There's one not far from the BBQ joint whose entrance is in an alley that I bet you're talking about (Rendezvous), but you want to go to the original location which is just down the street from Fino's on Madison which coincidentally was opened the same day I was born.

Rendezvous is a great example of dry-rub ribs. Corky's is great also, and is more of the meat+sauce type of BBQ. Cozy Corner is a good recommendation as well (someone needs to try a bologna sandwich there!).

The last time I was in Memphis was last summer, and some friends of mine got ribs from Central BBQ. I think this was the best BBQ I've ever had -- great dry-rub ribs, several different sauces to try with them... best of both worlds.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Just clicked your link to Cozy Corner and saw that picture of the BBQ bologna sandwich. Wow, talk about bringing back some memories. And I'm hungry all of a sudden.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 AM

I went with a few college friends and we went to Rendezvous. That's probably the restuarant in the alley you are referring to. I thought it was real good BBQ. The bar we went to was Silky O'Sullivans on Beale Street. The had dueling pianos and a nice outside area. I would definately recommend both places.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to Memphis this weekend for the Beale St Music festival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring a raincoat and an umbrella. It rains on this festival every year.

I really don't know why they still insist on running it the first weekend of May, as it ALWAYS rains here on the first weekend in May.

The Pebble Beach Pro-Am used to be in January every year, but they got tired of getting rained on every year, and finally changed the date a few years back. Memphis should consider this.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 AM

Best burger - Huey's

BBQ - Corky's, Rendezvous, or Jim N Nicks

Beer - downtown -Flying Saucer? Midtown - Young Ave Deli

Across the street from Flying Saucer is Jillians. They have bowling, pool, video games etc.

Downtown will be a mad house. So if you're looking to relax and hang out maybe midtown would be pretty cool. If that interests I could suggest some other places.