Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: For bettor or worse, Tony keeps gambling

question: curious if there's widespread agreement on the meaning of what what hesch said to his son about tony's wealth.

[ QUOTE ]
minus assets, i's say...less than 6

[/ QUOTE ]

my roommates were absolutely convinced that this meant he had less than 6 figures in liquid wealth (cash). first, it's a very awkward way to say what he was saying regardless of his meaning. it's very unlikely he has anywhere close to 6mill in non-real assets. [however, with a 3.2mm boat and a house worth <2mm (he said in an early season his house was worth "a million 2"), it's possible hesch would say he had less than 6mm in total wealth given that he was implying it's much less than one would expect, but the "minus assets" doesn't totally make sense there] it seemed very likely to me that tony has ready access to well over a hundo all the time, which makes me think the 6 didn't mean figures (and i've never heard anyone try to mean 6 figures while leaving off the "figures"). whenever i've heard people in finance or poker discussing the wealth of a rich person, round numbers in the single or double digits always mean millions ("how much is he worth?". "at least 20, possibly 30"), but that doesn't really make sense given the context. is it possible he meant it to be 600k? 100k is a wierd round benchmark to be left assumed. carmela used "6" to obviously mean 600k when talking about her house, but in the context of a house it's obvious you'd be talking about hundreds of thousands. anyone have any better explanation?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM

I took it to mean 600k liquid, hence why he had the money to pay hesch off, but it stung him to do it. If he had 6 mill liquid, 200k isnt as bad. it couldnt have meant 6 figures imo.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Sorry haven't read the entire thread. Disconnected thoughts:

-The gambling plotline was decently executed but came out of nowhere and apparently will lead to nowhere. Meh.
-Hesh's girl's death was bizarrely unexplained. She looked to be in her 40s.
-I liked the implication that AJ may give up trying to turn his life around and slide back into the dark side of his personality. Maybe Tony's successor will turn out to be the last person he wanted for the job, a la The Godfather?
-It looks like the terrorism subplot is going to be key in how the series ends. Ethnic tensions are fun and exciting.

On the whole: B- episode.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM

I thought the under 6 thing was "under 6 million"
Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Random thought:

What if AJ winds up an emotional mess over the breakup -(Likely true) and asks Tony to talk to Blanca.
I seem to see that Blanca is attracted to power/wealth and has a thing for Tony. Tony is not known for his willpower with women and sleeps with her.

At season end - Blanca talks to AJ and in the heat of an arguement tells him about her hookup and AJ, the least likely, kills Tony to end the series.

Probably not but it popped into my head when reading the thread as something the writers might do.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 PM

I've said this earlier, but I'd like to see A.J. spiral into some deep depression and kill himself. Something happening to him or Meadow would probably be the worst thing that could happen to Tony/Carmela.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Hesh's girl's death was bizarrely unexplained. She looked to be in her 40s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a stretch, but I think Hesh is due some sort of payback for the sin of bringing up the debt, which ultimately meant Tony paying the vig. I thought it might be implied that Tony was doing the honorable thing of honoring his debt, but that he killed the girlfriend to punish Hesh for the vig.

One piece of evidence: Earlier when Tony appears unexpectedly, Hesh sends her to the bedroom and tells her to lock the door. Foreshadowing that she is in danger.

Also, the two things happen back to back. There was no pause where we see that Tony cares and decides to pay back b/c of that. Really, they go out of their way in this episode to say Tony and Hesh really don't give a damn about each other.

As far as how her death happens, definitely seems like it was intended to be ambiguous. Lots of ways to make it clear that Tony wasn't behind it if they wanted to (auto accident, or just say what the cause of death was).
Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Random thought:

What if AJ winds up an emotional mess over the breakup -(Likely true) and asks Tony to talk to Blanca.
I seem to see that Blanca is attracted to power/wealth and has a thing for Tony. Tony is not known for his willpower with women and sleeps with her.

At season end - Blanca talks to AJ and in the heat of an arguement tells him about her hookup and AJ, the least likely, kills Tony to end the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. Interesting.

I inferred from the look on Tony's face when he walked away from Hesh's house was one of, 'That'll teach him...'

We've all had that moment of paying back a debt where we WANT to say, "Now go F yourself..." no matter how genial the original exchange. At some level for Tony and others, borrowing implies need or weakness, and he had to admit that to Hesh every week.

Then, he pays him back with a big satchel. And if Tony and crew DIDN'T kill Renata, then it's obvious that Tony is more than happy to let the mistaken assumption stand for its own value...
Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM

I really don't think Renata's death had anything to do with Tony or the family. What I do think is that it really put things in perspective for him. Notice when he walks out at the end he has this odd little smile of contentment on his face. I think the next two episodes will see the old Tony. People who are dismissing the storyline with Vito's kid don't get the point of that storyline. A number of times Tony mentioned that he won't forget the way Phil dealt with it. As we've seen before, it only takes a small thing to set Tony off. I have a feeling we'll see the Jersey crew make a move on Phil and NY in the next two episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if Tony had Christopher carry out the hit - as a kind of redemption.

Random thought - what happened to Chris's girlfriend from last year? Are we supposed to assume they've broken up and he's now sober?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Random thought - what happened to Chris's girlfriend from last year? Are we supposed to assume they've broken up and he's now sober?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you must have missed an episode. Chris is sober and married and has a kid.

If you meant the real estate agent, she is mentioned at some point and it appears they are no more. But if you'll recall, she dragged him along to an NA meeting at the end of last season. It is implied that Chris dried up after that.