Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:46 AM

Default I want to know if I made a smart choice

I am relatively new to online poker in general, not necessarily poker itself but all in all compared to some of you I am relatively new. (reading some faq's and whatnot as we speak)

Sitting at a table as chip leader, bullying the players and the pot and slowly raising my stack.

I have an Ace/10 not a great hand but I pay the blind. Flop is 4/4/A. So I raise a bit.

Turn is a 10, good shape I feel really good nobody is raising so I assume nobody has a four. I raise a bit more. 2 Fold, 1 calls.

last card is a Ace. So now im sitting on A so now Im sitting on Aces full of 4's. I feel great now not fearing the potential 4 for 3 of a kind and I raise, then I get raised again. I get a bit greedy in thinking this guy has the 4 and doubt he has the 4th ace. So I go all in (I have double his stack 50k to 25k so basically I just pushed him all in)

He ends up having pocket 4's and wins with 4 of a kind. I lose 25k.

He didn't raise, wasn't aggressive just called my small raises, I felt I had the statistical advantage. What do I do wrong?

My reasoning for pushing him all in was trying to up my stack on what I considered an garuntee. I was currently in 4th out of a 600 person tourney with 100 people left. Wanted to bump to 1st.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Re: I want to know if I made a smart choice

Can't see anything wrong with this - its variance - the only hand beating you here is pocket 4s and you would probably put villain, at most on A4 or TT.

I would have played the same.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 AM

Argh, this was painful...Try getting the hand history, what you've written will not help us asses at all

ARRRRRGH wtf is this question....There is only ONE possible hand that can beat you. The odds he has aces full of fours is way more likely, in which case you beat him....
There is NO WAY you are EVER not doubling him up here
Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM

Quads are usually pretty difficult to detect. If you have the high full house, as you did (aces full of tens), you're so likely to have the best hand, that it's worth it to get your chips in. It might be nice to know how much the villain raised you on the river, but you seem to have played this fine. Don't worry about it. Although this sort of thing doesn't happen often, it's annoying when it does. However, it's still going to happen, and there's actually nothing unusual about it, because it happens to everyone and it will happen again to you.

- people will be asking you to use a hand converter when you ask for advice on this site, because then they can see betting amounts/ who was in what position/ etc.:
http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Hey welcome,

First of you had aces full of tens not 4's. So the only hand you had to fear about was pocket fours or tens. From what i can tell you played the hand fine, and can't really do much about situations like this.

Next time give some more information though, about the players, blinds, pot & bet sizes. It's best to just post the hand history.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Location: Realising I suck at Poker (lifetime winner though!)

[ QUOTE ]
Hey welcome,

First of you had aces full of tens not 4's. So the only hand you had to fear about was pocket fours or tens. From what i can tell you played the hand fine, and can't really do much about situations like this.

Next time give some more information though, about the players, blinds, pot & bet sizes. It's best to just post the hand history.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would he be worried about 10's?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey welcome,

[/ QUOTE ]

why would he be worried about 10's?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, don't know how i came up with that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM

There is nothing you can do here other than go all-in. You will, in the long run, win his 25K all the times he has Ax and lose your 25K the one time he has 44.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 PM

not abad play...maybe insted of re -re raising him take the semi-safe way and call?

not much you can do man about his hand though
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am relatively new to online poker in general, not necessarily poker itself but all in all compared to some of you I am relatively new. (reading some faq's and whatnot as we speak)

Sitting at a table as chip leader, bullying the players and the pot and slowly raising my stack.

I have an Ace/10 not a great hand but I pay the blind. Flop is 4/4/A. So I raise a bit.

Turn is a 10, good shape I feel really good nobody is raising so I assume nobody has a four. I raise a bit more. 2 Fold, 1 calls.

last card is a Ace. So now im sitting on A so now Im sitting on Aces full of 4's. I feel great now not fearing the potential 4 for 3 of a kind and I raise, then I get raised again. I get a bit greedy in thinking this guy has the 4 and doubt he has the 4th ace. So I go all in (I have double his stack 50k to 25k so basically I just pushed him all in)

He ends up having pocket 4's and wins with 4 of a kind. I lose 25k.

He didn't raise, wasn't aggressive just called my small raises, I felt I had the statistical advantage. What do I do wrong?

My reasoning for pushing him all in was trying to up my stack on what I considered an garuntee. I was currently in 4th out of a 600 person tourney with 100 people left. Wanted to bump to 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir were just officially cold-decked. Nothing you could have done any differently. Curse the poker gods and move on to the next one.