Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Really quiet raiser

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So far, everyone is wrong, including the floor.

An over-sized chip is not a raise, unless the player announces that he is raising. And if nobody can hear him, then he didn't announce anything.

If the raiser doesn't like it, then the floor should use a line one of my old bosses would use in this spot: "If you would announce your raise half as loudly as you're yelling at me right now, then we wouldn't have this problem."

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two rules at work here. One is the person putting in the oversized chip needs to speak up. The other rule is the original bettor has an obligation to clarify the other player's action if it is unclear. This is a situation where the floor needs to consider the history of the players involved to come to the most equuitable decision.

edit to add: The OP says the bettor and and the dealer didn't hear it, it appears the players next to the raiser did hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I did hear it (barely), but it was so quiet no one else did. Of course, the floor didn't even ask if anyone heard it.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I did hear it (barely), but it was so quiet no one else did. Of course, the floor didn't even ask if anyone heard it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I might have to rethink my answer. Perhaps this is a new angle shoot? Say raise to where only one person can hear and if you got the bettor beat you got a witness saying "raise"... otherwise, gimme my dang change back. Crap like this makes me like PokerTek more and more.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a situation where the floor needs to consider the history of the players involved to come to the most equuitable decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
From the bettor's perspective there is nothing that would be unclear. No announcing of raise = no raise. However if the people around heard him announce raise then it should be allowed.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the bettor's perspective there is nothing that would be unclear. No announcing of raise = no raise. However if the people around heard him announce raise then it should be allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not enough for the people around him to hear it. Those people weren't in the hand and those people aren't the dealer. Many rooms have the straightforward and obvious policy that if the dealer didn't hear it, it wasn't said. If you're going to be ambiguous with your bets throwing out a single oversize chip, you MUST make your intention clear. Speak up, or make a thumbs-up gesture if your laryngitis is muting you.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the bettor sees the guy toss his 1 chip in and thinks he has been called and turns over his hand? Does he still have the option to call or raise(if the raise is okay)?