Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: one for the micros...

$1000 for 25NL is a little excessive, don't you think? I think something like 25 BIs for 25NL would be more than enough. I think most of the veterans would say that you'd need more BIs as you move up, because the players are generally better and you need more BIs for the variance.

Some players suggest taking a shot at the next higher limit once you accumulate 15 BI for the next level, go down when you drop to 12 BIs.

I think you'll get a lot of different answers from different people.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 AM

Personally i grinded up to $1700 (probably 800 hundred of this was bonuses/rakeback) before starting $50Nl.

And a tip for everyone playing micros: try to avoid slowplaying, generally a value bet is preferable and +ev. Take this hand as an example of when not to slowplay:

Titan Poker real 0.25/0.50 iPoker Converter from Talking-Poker

saw flop|saw showdown</font>

7 (Button) WITVADOR ($36.57)</font>
10 123xxxx ($47)
1 volvo2400 ($38.98)
2 malle2504 ($67.21)
4 dingdangdu ($76.77)
6 Hero ($103.60)</font>

Preflop: Hero is in seat 6 with 9 9
malle2504 raises to 2, 1 fold, Hero calls 2, WITVADOR calls 2, 2 folds.

Flop (6.75) 3 2 6
malle2504 bets 4, Hero calls 4, WITVADOR calls 4.

Turn (18.75) 3
malle2504 checks, Hero checks, WITVADOR checks.

River (18.75) 9
malle2504 bets 6, Hero raises to 23, WITVADOR moves all-in for 30.57, 1 fold, Hero calls 7.57

Hero shows 9 9
WITVADOR shows Q T

Hero wins 85.89 with A fullhouse, Nine's and Three's
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 AM

I basically always moved up when I had 20 BI in the micros. I started NL5 with $20; when I had $200 I moved to NL10 (actually I made myself play a bit more as some $40 were given to me by morons who went all in on every hand), when I had $500 I moved to NL25, etc... Very few exceptions and only then a few BI back and forth only.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
actually I made myself play a bit more as some $40 were given to me by morons who went all in on every hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I resent that remark, its fun to go down a bunch of levels and blow off steam, especially with a bunch of 2+2ers in the game

having tight regulars in those games sucks, having loose ones that still openlimp in EP even though 95%+ hands will be shoved is fun
Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 AM

I follow this strategy as well, but with some exceptions. I have about $340 at 10NL now and I will occasionally take a shot at 25NL with $15 if the game is good. So if I have 20bi's to short buy I will do that as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I'm new to this forum but I'd like to ask how people handle bankroll management at the micros.

By that I mean that while the standard is 20+ BI this is not set in stone. For example people who I know playing 400NL like having 30-40 BI because of the variance and having that much sets them more at ease.

I switched over to full ring nlhe from MTTs and STT's about two months ago, withdrew a bunch and started at 10NL with a $200 (20 BI) bankroll. I got bored of it and moved to 25NL with about $300 so 12 BI and now I have 20 BI. I can tell I'm not going to be playing 25NL for very long before moving up to 50nl, probably when i have $800 or so.

My vague question for the forum is, do you guys generally use strict bankroll management, and does this change as you increase the stakes from micro to higher?

And specifically would you in my shoes grind out 25nl until you have exactly $1000 (or more?) or would you move up earlier like I intend?

any thoughts appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]
I would move up when I had 15BI for the next level and 1) only single table until you build your roll 2) drop back down if you lose 1 BI

For #1, how much you build it it up to you before you multi-table. I would say something like 10% of your total roll on the table(s) would be the max.

#2 is not because you can't beat the level and run away scared, but rather because if you do wait to drop back down you have six BI's to make up before you take a shot again. Granted there is more chance you lose 1 BI than 3 but that's less to grind out.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Micro FR discussion

[ QUOTE ]
In some of the other forums they do hand quizes from time to time. I was thinking about putting about ten interesting pre-flop situations together to discuss. I could also add specific situations if someone wanted to pm a hand history. Would anyone be interested?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to try and do this and post it Wednesday (5/02). If anyone has a micro-preflop situation they feel dorky asking about and want me to include it with my post please feel free to PM me about your question or send me the Hand History. Raw data is ok as I can convert. Names will be withheld to protect the innocent. Also, anyone who thinks there is specific situations that typical micro players get wrong a lot feel free to send that along as well.

Thanks,
Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is why I said earlier that I believe the micros are tougher than 50NL and most certainly 100NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a decent starting hand in the micros, you need to raise it up quite a bit to get less experienced players to fold their 74o. 3x / 4x / 5x bb PFR when you have AA/KK is not good enough when your playing 10nl. There are a lot of 25nl and 50nl players that are sharks at 10NL and they are always willing to see a flop w/22 when they only have to put in .50... Your pocket A's are much easier to crack when 3 others see the flop. IMO, try to PFR enough to get just one other caller when your playing ~10nl.

I'll also say that there are less calling stations at 50NL and 100NL compaired to 10nl and 25nl. The upper limits make more moves and are generally more knowledgeable regarding poker. This makes the upper limits harder IMO.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I'm new to this forum but I'd like to ask how people handle bankroll management at the micros.

By that I mean that while the standard is 20+ BI this is not set in stone. For example people who I know playing 400NL like having 30-40 BI because of the variance and having that much sets them more at ease.

I switched over to full ring nlhe from MTTs and STT's about two months ago, withdrew a bunch and started at 10NL with a $200 (20 BI) bankroll. I got bored of it and moved to 25NL with about $300 so 12 BI and now I have 20 BI. I can tell I'm not going to be playing 25NL for very long before moving up to 50nl, probably when i have $800 or so.

My vague question for the forum is, do you guys generally use strict bankroll management, and does this change as you increase the stakes from micro to higher?

And specifically would you in my shoes grind out 25nl until you have exactly $1000 (or more?) or would you move up earlier like I intend?

any thoughts appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]
I would move up when I had 15BI for the next level and 1) only single table until you build your roll 2) drop back down if you lose 1 BI

For #1, how much you build it it up to you before you multi-table. I would say something like 10% of your total roll on the table(s) would be the max.

#2 is not because you can't beat the level and run away scared, but rather because if you do wait to drop back down you have six BI's to make up before you take a shot again. Granted there is more chance you lose 1 BI than 3 but that's less to grind out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some interesting thoughts, but not the way I like to do things. I do like to take stabs but I only do that when I see a fish has moved up to a 50 or 100 table. I'm 10 tabling the 25nl tables and I guess 15-16 BI is not really enough to 10 table 50nl so I like what you say about playing less tables (I would do more than 1 but maybe 4 is good). And lol yeah I'd drop back down pretty quick if I lost a bunch playing outside my roll
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Micro FR discussion

I'm having a problem lately and it seems to be site related and I don't know if any of you can help out. I had been playing on UB a lot since the begining of the year and just recently switched over to Stars. Its a pasivity issue. The players at Stars are sooo passive compared to UB and I'm having a hard time adjusting. For instance, raising AQ from co and Big Blind calls, flop hits my queen, checked to and I bet BB calls, turn is a blank so I bet again and get called. By this time I kind of figure I beat and I usually check behind the river or call a tiny donk bet and get shown KK. Normally I would expect a raise somewhere down the line just in case villain might have the best hand, but it never comes.

Being more aggressive just seems to end up with me spewing chips and when I dial it back I am losing value. Maybe this is a variance thing. Maybe its moving from a long ball to a small ball type game.

A few things I have started doing is:

1. Stop C-betting into calling stations with air.
2. Stop trying to blind steal against players seeing the flop 40% or more with junk.
3. A mini-raise usually means your top pair is no good anymore. Now if I can just stop calling them.

Any general advice would be appreciated. I am running 15/7/1.4. Should I loosen up? Should I tighten up? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,