Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Are you [classically] conditioning yourself to surf 2p2?

I took a survey a few years back about internet addiction. Although the survey was clearly biased in favor of finding addiction, it sparked a family joke about asking one another if we're addicted to the internet. Mrs. T has wondered, with reason, about my obsession with 2p2.

I was actually tempted to fire off an email to the IT firewall gurus at my company, asking them to clear 2p2 past the antigambling firewall. But that move is sufficiently -EV from a career perspective that rationality prevailed.

But yes, I think I'm addicted to 2p2. Part of it is that it attracts sympatico people from all over: I find the jabs and humor (sup bro, JA/PA obsession, gogogogo!, dramabombs, do you see why?, beedogs, and Dids' life tilt) and a hundred other traditions to be amusing in a random but often perceptive way. Plus, it's a great resource for collecting random bits of knowledge and generating ideas.

That's all just a rationalization, of course. I'm deeply, tragically addicted.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2p2 is like a drug. It has certainly made my poker game much stronger, but when it gets in the way of doing online work it is really frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 2p2 has been a blessing and a curse. I never would have been able to make a living playing poker if I hadnt found this place thats definitely for sure. I feel really lucky that I was fortunate enough to have been able to do that and im grateful to 2p2. But Im long since past the point where I even attempt to get better at poker (I only just now really started playing poker again after a long break) and I spend more time here now than I did back in the day when I was hungry to improve my game. Now I just waste tons of hours on really pointless [censored] and meaningless posts. I don't even mean to either. Ill sit down in this chair to do real work and I open 2p2 without even thinking and the next thing I know a couple hours have gone by, and on some occasions I cant even remember what the reason was I sat down for in the first place. Looking back over my years here when I take it all in I can't decide if the whole thing has been positive or negative. Im sure tho that if I wasnt wasting time here id just be wasting it somewhere else. Hooked on WoW or reality television or something. I've always had been like that. So I guess at least this addiction paid well, but I still feel sad when thinking about the thousands of hours I could have been doing something thats much more productive. But then I guess thats like lamenting the fact Im not smarter or better looking or more athletic because it would have meant a much better life. I am who I am I suppose.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 AM

alobar - this is a very nice post...which feels weird to say considering that the topic is pretty much 'the pointlessness of posts'.
I agree with all that stuff except for WoW and Realty TV.
Yuck.
Otherwise, obviously I'm in a fairly similar boat regarding this pretty stupid addiction.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 AM

I now spend more time reading 2+2 than I do playing poker. This is since I can read 2+2 at work (despite moving to an open-plan office, I'm still doing it - with pictures disabled, the screen minimised, and Outlook in the background so it's harder to recognise for people walking past) while of course I can't play poker, and currently I don't have a PC at home either. So 2+2 all day, and poker just when I can get to an Internet cafe.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Its definitely conditioning. I'm having trouble getting up to get a shower right now.

OT: On a completely separate note, I'd like to say how much I like this forum. I was going to post this in its own string and then realized that crappy posts like that aren't allowed. The topics and commentary here >>>>>> any other 'general discussion' type forum on 2+2. Kudos to El Diablo and the rest of you.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 AM

havent read the responses but i completely get what u mean. it slik crack; im alway 5 mins late whereever i go, im always like just one more forum, just one more thread