Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: running alone good enough to lose weight?

tdarko,

I think your friend might be BSing you, or getting some facts confused becuse someone who has had gastric bypass cant physically eat that much food.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would help everyone to have a basic level of expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calorie=unit of energy

E=m(c^2) (Mass-Energy Equivalence)

First Law of Thermodynamics:

Delta(U)=Q-W (Change in internal energy of a system equals the energy intake of the system minus the energy expended by the system)

The change in total mass of the human body(energy and mass are equivalent) is equal to the total energy intake minus the total energy expenditure.

Debunk my logic.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Jeff W,

Geez. You are making this really tough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermic_effect_of_food

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...n/new_view.htm

Not to mention your logic sucks. Lets imagine a world where density and energy (as in the body, not on a blackboard) are completely constant throughout the body and then your equation looks great.

Note: Sweet delete.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just realized some confusion also. Like are you meaning absorbed etc or consumed? Cause carbs/fats/protein isn't absorbed equally and this is referred to as the "thermic effect of food" (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and essentially proteins provide a substantial amount of less net cals than the other two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm referring to consumption and expenditure in the broadest sense possible--ALL energy intake and expenditure. Otherwise, the 1st law doesn't apply.

It's really not worth delving into further--I'm not a biochemist, so I don't know exactly what goes into the black box that is the human body. I do know that the box gains or loses energy/mass if consumption and expenditure are inequal.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff W,

Geez. You are making this really tough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermic_effect_of_food

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...n/new_view.htm

Not to mention your logic sucks. Lets imagine a world where density and energy (as in the body, not on a blackboard) are completely constant throughout the body and then your equation looks great.

Note: Sweet delete.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Thremp. Some posters on this thread don't know what they are talking about.

Jeff- do you think that 120 calories from apples has anywhere the same effect on weight loss or gain as 120 calories from high fructose from a can of coke? The body can gain weight in the form of fat from coke and lose fat weight from the apple. Same 120 calories=different weight.

Jeff-
Your calculations are wrong. The body doesn't work like that equation. You have people eating 1000 calories a day and doing long distance running and NOT losing weight.

Practical experience counts for something.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Packard,

Fek man. I'm trying to have a sensible discussion. Jeff W brings up a very correct albeit esoteric and pointless comment. After you factor out all the things that influence what your body uses and metabolic processes etc. you arrive at the first law of thermodynamics. The problem is that there is so much between food being swallowed and energy that you utilize which can result in weight gain that to use the first law of thermodynamics is pointless.

But then you have to bring up some "training hard" mumbo jumbo whatever that means. I find intellectual attacks much better. IE "You don't know what you're talking about" than some nonsensical "I'm a meathead, I crush small woodland animals under my weighty boots"
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Fwiw, threads like this are why I dont post much in this forum, because 1. its too hard not to get into an argument with someone who I know is wrong, 2. not only is it to hard to refrain from arguing, 99% of the time its pointless.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:37 PM

This thread is out of control. I agree. I am done on it as long as I don't get flamed.

Everyone just go out and eat what you like and best wishes, Packard
Old 04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff-
Your calculations are wrong. The body doesn't work like that equation. You have people eating 1000 calories a day and doing long distance running and NOT losing weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever else they may be, my calculations aren't wrong.

Now I will comply with the armistice--I promise!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Alright, I'm locking this thread.
Closed Thread