Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: After One Year, I\'ve Lost Some of My Enthusiasm for Poker

[ QUOTE ]
Watching poker on TV is not as enjoyable as it was two years ago with the notable exception of HSP. I still look forward to watching it.

I barely paid attention to the WSOP on ESPN this past year and while I still watch the WPT, is is a predictable snooze fest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't watched poker on tv in a couple years now (although I still play on a regular basis). What is HSP?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this may be my final thread post on this forum. Life is too short to be focused on just poker!

-TheMan

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm excited. At last a reason to return to 2+2.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:18 AM

www.pokertube.com

William Hill Grand Prix has an excellent structure for tournament televised poker. Well worth watching.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, just tune in to USPC. It's a shame that its days on ESPN are numbered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the actually cancel it? I have heard this the past couple of years but it seems to keep coming back.

Oliver?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but ESPN signed a long term deal with the USPC through like 2009. But it was a bad deal and now they are playing out the string in a manner of speaking. It sounds like this would be a time buy if the deal would not have been signed and I am guessing Trump would not buy time.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 AM

did anybody ever watch the Mansion Poker Noob Challenge? i always thought that one was interesting just to visually see how a little bit of poker knowledge can devastate a table of nubs.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 PM

I've been playing avidly for about 5 years and i'm more into it than ever, it's kind of sick and my girlfriend hates it but i can't get enough, i'll watch pretty much any televised poker.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Do you find yourself getting involved in trendy hobbies and then losing interest and moving on to something else after a while? Without knowing you, it seems that since you've only been really into poker for a year, it was just new and exciting, and now the novelty has worn off. It probably has more to do with that than changes in poker itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yes and no...I've been following poker for much longer than a year. My thread title was a spoof of the other thread saying "After 50 years.." (referring to Doyle Brunson's comments about losing enthusiasm).

But yes, I do often go from one life interest or hobby to another. But poker has been with me for quite a while, so this is not an instance of that. I'm just saying in this particular past year that I've lost more interest than any other. Poker isn't like other sports where there is usually one dominant league and a "season"...I just can't follow these no-names and don't think tournament poker has much to offer.

HSP was great yes, but even then it's not must-see TV for me. I'd just as easily be more interested in watching a movie.

-TheMan
Old 04-28-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP: Do you find yourself getting involved in trendy hobbies and then losing interest and moving on to something else after a while? Without knowing you, it seems that since you've only been really into poker for a year, it was just new and exciting, and now the novelty has worn off. It probably has more to do with that than changes in poker itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yes and no...I've been following poker for much longer than a year. My thread title was a spoof of the other thread saying "After 50 years.." (referring to Doyle Brunson's comments about losing enthusiasm).

But yes, I do often go from one life interest or hobby to another. But poker has been with me for quite a while, so this is not an instance of that. I'm just saying in this particular past year that I've lost more interest than any other. Poker isn't like other sports where there is usually one dominant league and a "season"...I just can't follow these no-names and don't think tournament poker has much to offer.

HSP was great yes, but even then it's not must-see TV for me. I'd just as easily be more interested in watching a movie.

-TheMan

[/ QUOTE ]

To sum things up. Amatuer poker on TV has watered down the game/sport. At first it seemed exciting, but no it's making poker unwatchable.

-TheMan
Old 04-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I agree that at first, any poker on tv using the hole card cams was exciting. Now it's saturated with so many terrible shows, that it is hard to get excited to watch most shows. I used to really look forward to the next WPT episode, but there's really no drama in seeing all-in after all-in and seeing who gets lucky. HSP is the only must-see poker show lately.

It just seemed like you (OP) were getting sick of even playing poker. Maybe laying off the poker on tv will keep playing the game fresh for you.