Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Runner runner a big boat, reraised on river, what\'s my move?

[ QUOTE ]

The reason I think this is a definite raise on the river at the .25-.50 level is that it is much more likely that opponent is overvaluing a relatively weak hand than that he has the one hand I fear. And since it's so much more likely that he is behind me, he doesn't even have to call my shove that often to make it profitable (although in my experience, if someone overvalues a hand enough to put in the 3rd bet with it, they will call a shove even when it is stunningly obvious that their hand is no good -- and this is true even at higher stakes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Most opponents I have played at the .25/.50 level (and that is the level I play the most) would not reraise on the river without at least J7xx.

Can you at least agree that it is unlikely that the villain has fours full or fives full (meaning they flopped middle or bottom set) because a player who would reraise with those hands on the river will usually bet the flop OOP with a set even if a straight is possible?
Old 04-28-2007, 05:42 AM

I think another thing that holdem players "get" better than PLO ones is that the more money that goes in, the more likely it is that your foe *has* the hand he is representing. Now you may be very right about the 0.5-1 level, Pete, so I can't really comment on this hand in that respect. But a lot of posts on this forum seem to disregard that NLHE "fact".

gl

bdd
Old 04-28-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think another thing that holdem players "get" better than PLO ones is that the more money that goes in, the more likely it is that your foe *has* the hand he is representing. Now you may be very right about the 0.5-1 level, Pete, so I can't really comment on this hand in that respect. But a lot of posts on this forum seem to disregard that NLHE "fact".

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this typo some kind of subtle dig at me for having played some .50-1 recently?

Anyway, I don't quite get your point. Obviously as more money goes in, the likelihood of your opponent having the boss hand goes up. However, when there are incredibly few combinations to make up that hand (in this case he has to have the 2 case jacks plus probably two straight cards), the likelihood that he is playing some other hand irrationally -- e.g. giving more action than he normally should for the strength of his hand -- can still be much higher.

Incidentally, I don't really think I would play it differently at higher stakes through 5-10, unless I knew the player very well and considered him to be very predictable.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think another thing that holdem players "get" better than PLO ones is that the more money that goes in, the more likely it is that your foe *has* the hand he is representing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are talking about a case like this on the river, and not how draws are played in PLO vs NLHE.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Pete,

All PLO players are grumpy, but you take the cake. Of course it wasn't a dig, I don't care where or how you play. I've just never played at that level so I haven't a clue how they play there. If you used your high level analytical lawyerish skills, you would have seen that I didn't use the word "small", which would have been quite natural. Just chill ffs.

And as the post clearly said, I was talking about in general. Im sure if we could be bothered we could number crunch exactly how often he needs to have that hand.

Take a deep breath and relax, im a friend, not a foe.

gl

bdd
Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete,

All PLO players are grumpy, but you take the cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to being grumpy and lacking a sense of humour, I've noticed that he is pretty paranoid. I bet he has his computer and windows all taped up with aluminum foil so that aliens, the government, people, etc can't spy on him.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:52 AM

its close - but i would just call
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you used your high level analytical lawyerish skills, you would have seen that I didn't use the word "small", which would have been quite natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I was referring to the fact that you said ".5-1" when the OP's hand was at .25-.50. I actually wasn't being grumpy, I was just asking because I thought it was clever on your part.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:31 PM

I misread it. I'm too Northern to be clever in that way. Although I would assume anything below 1-2 probably plays about the same way...but this could be very wrong.

gl

bdd
Old 04-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Really, I don't think you can make very strong assumptions by stakes anyway. PLO's one game where it seems like you find just as many fish at 5/10 as you do at .25/.50. If anything, the games are softer or more difficult based on the site you play on.