Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Deep spot against fish

Villain is 63/32/9 over 120 hands. He likes to make these min-raises sometimes. Other times it's just 4xBB raises. I've made some plays where I hit on the river and so he thinks I'm fish. The only time I've seen him show down a hand after he min-raised is when he had AA. He likes to make smallish bets into the aggressor w/ flush draws.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB ($58.30)
UTG ($246.80)
MP ($49.25)
Hero ($171)
Button ($56.60)
SB ($28.35)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $0.50, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($5.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $11</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $8.

Turn: ($27.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($47.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $51.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $98.75

Should I raise the turn here? His somewhat larger than usual turn lead indicates he probably doesn't have a draw here.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Deep spot against fish

This is a tough spot.

First of all, noting that he likes to make small bets into the aggressor with flush draws doesn't seem relevant here since he's technically the aggressor.

Narrowing his range is just very very tough. Hyper-Aggressive (and this seems a fair profile for this guy) players have a way of pouncing on weakness which could explain why he went from a turn 1/3 pot size bet to a river psb. You raised him on the flop, he led on the turn and you only called. He thinks you're a fish so there's no telling what strength of a hand he requires to bet strong against you.

In the end I think I'd call. Your deep stacked variance vs. him may be pretty high but you have to be willing to withstand his multi street aggression and try to pick apart their bet sizing if you want to win the most versus these maniac types. I would not be surprised to see a busted drwa or some crappy one pair hand here.

Then again, folding isn't terrible but you have to keep your eyes open to situations where he pounces in the future; if he's not been showing down hands, it's really hard to know how strong he is here.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:47 AM

Oh, and about your question: I like a raise on this turn. His turn lead is hard to decipher but there is a very good chance you are still a favorite.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 AM

My hand is a bluff catcher on the river if I'm calling this. If he had a weak hand, he'd fire weakly. This guy's not smart enough to "pounce" on weakness.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 AM

mighta had AQ, alot of players bet weak with a pair but then when they hit 2pair they pot. If hes hyper agressive then i think you'll know what the turn bet means if you look though the hands you have on him on pokertracker. I think the turn hes trying to protect his queen. Probly has AQ or KQ here on river. Raising the turn to 35-45ish looks good. My plan for river after raising turn, get to showdown as cheap as possiable.