Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to mimic winning player?

Well first of all, poker is a situational game. Each hand may seem to be the same on the surface, can be totally different based on opponents, position, chip stacks and many other factors.

Second, doing something because a top pro does it without knowing the why behind is a recipe for disaster.

With that said, you can mimic a style to a certain point and have a certain amount of success. For example most books tell you to play TAG. The reason, it will give the player a certain base to build off of. It's like building a foundation of a house. But that's all it is. To grow as a player, each player has to find what works for them based on each players talents and abilities.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well first of all, poker is a situational game. Each hand may seem to be the same on the surface, can be totally different based on opponents, position, chip stacks and many other factors.

Second, doing something because a top pro does it without knowing the why behind is a recipe for disaster.

With that said, you can mimic a style to a certain point and have a certain amount of success. For example most books tell you to play TAG. The reason, it will give the player a certain base to build off of. It's like building a foundation of a house. But that's all it is. To grow as a player, each player has to find what works for them based on each players talents and abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no NL holdem 6 max book. None.

Books teach ABC game. Raise premium hands, charge big draws and stuff and etc.

And do not call draws when there is no pot odds to draw.

Thats about it.

But there is no books which explain how to play in different situations.

Here is what happens.

Example

100 players start learning NL holdem and read same stuff. Let say they are equally smart.

Say they will play 1st 5k hands and apply same strategy.

But they all be at different tables with different players some will run hot some will run cold.

After 5k hands you will see that they were using same strategy but some made $$$ some didnt. Those who were winning keep yousing it. Those who lost they will start to think that since they didn't make
$$$$ in 5k hands they need to do something differently so they start to develop new ways how to play but they arent sure what they need to do and there is no way to see results immediatly once they changed strategy they need to experiment again.

Say there is a limper with 40/10 on the table and you have JTs on the button you raise 5x flop comes 369 he checks you bet 8x he raises 22x obviously you fold.
Now at this point you dont know whether he outplayed you or hit big hand.

So lets say he limps again you get 88 you raise 5x flop K24 you think this time its just 1 over so you bet 8x he calls turn comes J and he leads OOP for 16x can you call here? Obviously not so you fold again.

3rd time you get AJ off he limps again you raise 5x that limper reraises 15x. This is the 1st time he makes move like that whats your play? Is he making a move because he saw that you raising a lot or can he have a big hand here?

I doubt if you place any pro in this situation he would be able to make better desicion than you are.

In other words holdem NL is so difficult to learn by yourself because there is so much incompltete information.

Even when you post hands on 2+2 and guys giving different advices on some specific hand.. 1 says bet more, 2nd sayd I would push here 3. guy says check to induce bluff. Which answer is correct?How can you know
which guy is the biggest winner in those games? Are those guys who give advices winning players? Are they better then you?

Thats why learning NL is so confusing and it's easier to learn someone style which was build by a lot of trial and error and if you mimic someone style and stats and he is 5PTBB/100 winner it's bigger chance that you will become
4PTBB/100+ winner and understand logic behind that instead of trying to improve your 2.5PTBB/100 style and you'll try to find out what you need to do to incerease your win rate.

Here is the part I'm struggling. I been playing poker semi pro for 3 yrs. Havent had lossing month in this period.

Was playing within 0.5NL-10/20NL in this period.

Biggest win was 14k month at 2/4NL after which I decided to go to 10/20NL where I lost like 10k in 3 days so then I went back to 1NL build my BR and started grinding 2/4NL won 12k went to 3/6NL lost like 4k in 3 days. Went down to 1/2NL just bunch of bad beats. Went down to 0.5/1NL and decided to grind there and do not try to move up. Because whenever I come to higher level there is differently another game and when I try to play my game it doesn't fit there.

So basicly I was 6 tabling 1NL for a yr making about 4000$+ month including rakeback. THen once after grinding for a yr I went to 1/2NL beat that game for 3PTBB/100 then went to 2/4NL beat that game for 2.5PTBB/100 then went to 3/6NL and lost 6 buy ins in 4 days.

And then decided grind at 0.5/1NL again.

Currently Im at 0.5/1 6 max And want to move up to 1/2NL 6 max but Im so fed up with the with working for 1 month then dumping half of the earnings in 1 week at higher level..

Old 04-28-2007, 12:27 AM

I agree, there's no book that can teach how to play in all situations. But as I said, it's a base (inferior as it may be) from which new players can learn from and have limited success.

Again, poker is a situational game. This means there may not always be one correct answer to a given situation. That's why different styles can be successful. Mimic a good players style will give you a certain amount of success but you have to understand the why. As you stated, given a particular strategy some will make money and others may not. Take for example, raising 3x with aces. Simple straight forward. But this strategy may not work in all cases. If you've got a table of loose callers for sure they'll call your 3x bet and suck out on you. A good player will know how to adjust. A bad player won't. Yet they both followed a basic strategy.

Obviously learning from a good player you will get better. Take for example Barry Greenstein and his son Joe Sebok. Joe wouldn't have gotten so good so fast without Barry's help. Just being able to watch Barry play, Joe is able to advance his poker knowledge light years ahead of if he was buy himself. But if you look at their styles, they play quite differently.

Based on what you've posted, I think your running into the following problems:
1) bankroll management - you keep jumping into games where your bankroll can't sustain the losses. You need at least 15-20 buy-ins at any given level
2) patience - see 1) plus the higher you go the tougher the competition. What works at a lower level may not work at a higher level. Playing at 2/4 NL is much different than playing 10/20 NL. The players that play 10/20 are mostly established pros.
3) There's nothing wrong with taking shots, but you have to know to step down when your losing. Obviously your losing for a reason. Watching players at the next level play will help you adjust.

It sounds like you've had success at certain levels up to this point. You just need to adjust your game. Listen to your coach. Ask him to analyze the hands that you've played and see where your weak. For example, maybe your playing too tight. Could that be because your playing too high for your bankroll. Not raising enough. Raising too much. Calling too much. Blindly following a particular style or play can/will only take you so far. Players at higher levels will figure out what your doing, adjust and take advantage.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently Im at 0.5/1 6 max And want to move up to 1/2NL 6 max but Im so fed up with the with working for 1 month then dumping half of the earnings in 1 week at higher level..

[/ QUOTE ]

Takes a few tries sometimes. Not everyone breezes from .25/.50 to 1k/2k.