Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: FLORIDA ALLOWING POKER GAME STAKES TO BE RAISED IN JULY!

[ QUOTE ]
I spoke with a friend of mine who has worked in the Florida Legislature. He read the links and he says, based on the speed at which these bills moved through committee and the committee votes, these bills will pass by the end of next week.

This, obviously, doesn't mean anything to you all, but I think come July 1, the price of poker will be going up in Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally, my sources are saying the same thing. Nothing gets done faster than revenue raising legislation in a cash poor government.

By the way- - WE'RE GETTIN' NO LIMIT CASH GAMES BABY!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 AM

If this all turns out for the best it will take some of th sting out of the online situation since I am in Florida. IM PUMPED
Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 AM

Based on how the FL gov't has been over the past 5+ years, I am merely going to just cross my fingers. Remember the Marlins' ballpark debacle (which is still going on)? They also have to work on property tax stuff to make that more palatable, not to mention stop the gouging of home insurance (my home insurance is nearly $4000, for all of you living elsewhere and paying 10% of that).

The fact is, making the poker rooms go to a $5 max bet and a $100 NL game is not going to be as great as you all think, nor will it bring in the kind of tax dollars you all think. While it will raise interest in poker in Florida, making the poker rooms more full than normal, the amount of money it will bring in to the state will be a drop in the bucket compared to what they need (just like the U.S. legalizing online poker -- the federal tax benefits just isn't enticing enough).

Furthermore, seeing as how these rooms charge the most insane rakes in the universe on their games and tourneys now, I can see a MINIMUM $6/pp time charge per dealer in the no limit game, which makes the $100NL a farce unless you get lucky and build a monster stack. And to do that, you'll have to sit in for a few hours, then stay for a few hours, which will cost you quite a bit, all things considered.

The only positive is that the play down here is so downright awful that anyone with any sense of what they are doing should do moderately well in a $100NL game.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on how the FL gov't has been over the past 5+ years, I am merely going to just cross my fingers. Remember the Marlins' ballpark debacle (which is still going on)? They also have to work on property tax stuff to make that more palatable, not to mention stop the gouging of home insurance (my home insurance is nearly $4000, for all of you living elsewhere and paying 10% of that).

The fact is, making the poker rooms go to a $5 max bet and a $100 NL game is not going to be as great as you all think, nor will it bring in the kind of tax dollars you all think. While it will raise interest in poker in Florida, making the poker rooms more full than normal, the amount of money it will bring in to the state will be a drop in the bucket compared to what they need (just like the U.S. legalizing online poker -- the federal tax benefits just isn't enticing enough).

Furthermore, seeing as how these rooms charge the most insane rakes in the universe on their games and tourneys now, I can see a MINIMUM $6/pp time charge per dealer in the no limit game, which makes the $100NL a farce unless you get lucky and build a monster stack. And to do that, you'll have to sit in for a few hours, then stay for a few hours, which will cost you quite a bit, all things considered.

The only positive is that the play down here is so downright awful that anyone with any sense of what they are doing should do moderately well in a $100NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started on the rake [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Don't troll. We've been asking for this, and it seems likely to happen. Let's take the improvement and work with it, and in a year or two ask for more.

FWIW, the bill also raises tourney stakes to "ten times the amount" that can be risked in an individual hand. This would be either $800 or $1600 for entry in a tourney depending of which version passes.

So enough with the trolling. This isn't Vegas (we don't want it to be), and I am personally happy that we are getting SOMETHING.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 AM

We are one step closer. The Senate just passed this bill 29-10.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SHIP IT
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nice
Old 04-27-2007, 03:41 PM

Here's a thought. This is the plain text from the Senate version that has passed.

"However, a cardroom operator may conduct games of Texas Hold-em without a betting limit if the required player buy-in is no more than $100."

It seems to me that technically this could open the door for buy-ins greater than $100. Say for instance a cardroom lets you buy-in for anywhere from $100-$300. In that case no player is required to buy-in for more than $100. I don't think that is the spirit of the law but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try it.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:55 PM

holla!