Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: more luck than others

[ QUOTE ]
If i move to bigger stakes will it be different or is there still the donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a joke around here, "move up to where they respect your raises." It's meant sarcastically, because it's nonsense, and usually directed at less experienced players who tend to ask this.

People making bad calls against you is a great thing - that's poker 101. If that makes no sense to you see the Fundamental Theorem of Poker (Sklansky) - it's covered in Theory of Poker.

I also suspect you might underestimate some of your competition even at $5 SNGs, or maybe assume you should be winning more than you are. A lot of players read a few books, play a little while, and expect to just go tearing up the poker scene... that's not really how it works as you're finding out. People just don't roll over whenever you feel like raising, and frankly, most of the other players have read the same things you have.

Plus, well, you're playing sit-n-go's. Cash games are where it's at anyway.

I have a litmus test for frustrated SNG/tourney NLHE players:

Multitable 30,000 micro-NL hands, and I mean .01/.02, maybe four tables running. Just be patient about it and grind it out. At 30k, if you're not showing a pretty strong winrate, your game needs a lot of work on the fundamental level.

Or, you could go to cardrunners or get a tutor...
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: more luck than others

Umm, I play live and online. Its unfathomable to me that someone could view online players as a whole as making less "good" poker decisions that live players. If I could multitable against my usual live opponents, and get in 80 hands per hour per table, I'd be Bill Gates. The "fish per player ratio" is far higher live.

My point is, this misconception leads me to believe that your assumption about online donks always drawing out on you and that's why you are not winning online but can win live, and hence you are just unlucky, is probably wrong. More likely, you have a leak that shows itself online rather than live. The one that comes to mind is playing too loose. Live, you can make the money back with big bets and fish swimming behind when you flop a monster. In fact, its proper strategy at a lot of live tables. Online tables are typically way tighter, and you won't get paid big often enough to justify playing speculative hands.

I'd stop worrying about luck and try to control those aspects of the game that you can.

One more thing. The idea that moving up will solve the problem is the worst idea you could have. Online, lower the limit, the worse the players, and hence the easier the game is to beat.