Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Limp/calling with aces

This is something I have noticed a lot lately. Only problem is, people arent just doing it with AA but KK and QQ as well. Not only that, they are doing it with 4 or 5 others in the pot already. I usually only resort to this type of play when I am shortstacked and its a limp raise with that. I usually just make the standard 3x raise and go from there.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is something I have noticed a lot lately. Only problem is, people arent just doing it with AA but KK and QQ as well. Not only that, they are doing it with 4 or 5 others in the pot already. I usually only resort to this type of play when I am shortstacked and its a limp raise with that. I usually just make the standard 3x raise and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is generally a bad fish-type trapping play if you do it multiway or with QQ or KK.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is generally a bad fish-type trapping play if you do it multiway or with QQ or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially facing 4 or 5 limpers and the blinds to act yet. I saw this several times yesterday alone, and numerous times over the last couple of weeks. Maybe its me and there is something about myself that I dont know yet. Tons probably. Poker Office rates me as a Semi-Loose PF and Ag Post Flop. I just cant help playing those suited Aces. Smack me please.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Limping with Aces in MTT is best when:
1. The table is aggressive and a LP player is garaunteed to raise.
2. Have you limped with other hands during the event and folded to a raise? If you raise every single hand then limp in this one time, any non-donkey's radar is on.
3. Limping is gambling. The bigger your stack, the less you should gamble with AA.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping with Aces in MTT is best when:
1. The table is aggressive and a LP player is garaunteed to raise.
2. Have you limped with other hands during the event and folded to a raise? If you raise every single hand then limp in this one time, any non-donkey's radar is on.
3. Limping is gambling. The bigger your stack, the less you should gamble with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I only limp with aces in the following circumstances:

1. I am in early position;

2. The table is aggressive;

3. The table has reason to believe that when I limp early, I am not that strong.

In other words, I only limp with AA when I am 90% or more sure the table will raise me before the flop! If you limp and 5 people follow, how sure are you about your aces now?

Also, I have read some comments about limping with them at the final tables so that you can deceive your opponents. This doesn't seem right to me at all. You only get aces 1 out of 220 times. If you want to add in the other premiums hands, KK/QQ/AK, you'll see that you do not get those so often either. I think only 1 out of 40 or hands. So being cute doesn't seem to pay because you may not get another good hand again, and you can be pretty sure you won't see AA again at all. So I see little value in this avenue of trickery.

Bottom line - you only limp with AA when you are sure that you will be raised before the flop, period, that is IMHO.