Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Session Reviews sign up thread

I think it's more important to match up stakes than styles.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:01 AM

neat idea guys I like!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 AM

I really liked the feedback system they use in Micro Stakes Limit.
It pretty much ensure that if you put a lot of effort into the reviews, you would eventually end up being paired with 'good partners'.

Also, why isn't this a sticky?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's more important to match up stakes than styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know....it might be good for each to see how the other plays and learn to analyze/understand that style of play.

[/ QUOTE ]
This summarizes a lot of the reasons why session reviewing is such a good learning tool. Being forced to think along different lines than you usually do, and explain you play to someone, who may have a different view on things, is a really good exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think I disagree. I think it is good to learn from different styles and to think outside of your usual plays but the point of the session reviews (unless I'm mistaken and I could be) is to identify leaks in your own game. This becomes harder if someone is playing pf in a way you wouldn't and thus, facing situations you wouldnt be facing. It'd be very difficult to give good advice having never played a hand that way. I think it's also kinda weird to have someone who is a LAG critiquing a TAGs play post flop if they have different images. A really aggressive post flop player can get away with value pushes that a fairly passive post flop player can't. I think matching stakes>matching styles>mixing em up.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:47 AM

How many hands are typically swapped?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 AM

I agree with DougieG.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands are typically swapped?

[/ QUOTE ]

In lmit we used about 100 hand sessions...that keeps it easy for everyone. Unless you are reviewing a seriously laggy player [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Check the links in OP for details.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the point of the session reviews (unless I'm mistaken and I could be) is to identify leaks in your own game.

[/ QUOTE ]I think the point is to make us better players by getting feedback from others and thinking about the game as we provide feedback ourselves. I think it's a more sophisticated goal than simply "finding leaks". More like, helping us each add to are arsenal of plays while identifying those that aren't as profitable or are losing us money.

[ QUOTE ]
This becomes harder if someone is playing pf in a way you wouldn't and thus, facing situations you wouldnt be facing.

[/ QUOTE ]It is harder, but it also helps us think about the game differently, which is much better for us.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the point of the session reviews (unless I'm mistaken and I could be) is to identify leaks in your own game.

[/ QUOTE ]I think the point is to make us better players by getting feedback from others and thinking about the game as we provide feedback ourselves. I think it's a more sophisticated goal than simply "finding leaks". More like, helping us each add to are arsenal of plays while identifying those that aren't as profitable or are losing us money.

[ QUOTE ]
This becomes harder if someone is playing pf in a way you wouldn't and thus, facing situations you wouldnt be facing.

[/ QUOTE ]It is harder, but it also helps us think about the game differently, which is much better for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you pretty much nailed it Jeff.

I would also like to add that it forces you to really know the material if you are going to try to explain it to someone else. It also forces you to formulate your own thoughts without the aid of others. It is easy to fall into the bad habit of reading responses before posting and allowing that to affect your own response. I sometimes catch myself doing this still.

Invariably people will end up being paired up with partners who have a different style and skill level. I think there are benefits to this.

Looks like we are up in the 30's. I didn't expect it to get this much interest!

... hence the interest thread... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]