Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of

ship it bill frist
Old 04-26-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I would like to urge all here when contacting their representatives, to KEEP THE FOCUS ON POKER. As I said in my post in the other thread, we cannot allow poker to be seen to be tied to the fate of non-poker forms of gambling, including sports betting. So tell your reps that you are a POKER PLAYER so that they know it is POKER PLAYERS who are most concerned here, and not other types of gamblers.

Cliff notes: KEEP THE FOCUS ON POKER AND POKER PLAYERS!

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't be separating the two. At this point in time it is about a freedom, not about a niche within a freedom.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 PM

H.R. 2046 voice vote
Speaker: All members in favor say aye those opposed say no.
Speaker: Members in favor?
Floor: aye
Speaker: Members opposed?
Floor: NOOOOOOOOOO
Speaker: In the opinion of the chair the no's have it, H.R. 2046 is not agreed to.

THE END

Alternate Ending
Speaker: In the opinion of the chair the no's have it, H.R. 2046 is not agreed to.
Barney Frank: Mr. Speaker I ask for a recorded vote.
Speaker: The member asks for a recorded vote, voting will be by electronic means, members will have 15 minutes to record their votes.

15 minutes later
Aye: 41
No: 340
Present: 2
No Vote: 52

Speaker: H.R. 2046 is not agreed to.

THE END
Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
H.R. 2046 voice vote

THE END

Alternate Ending
Speaker: The member asks for a recorded vote, voting will be by electronic means, members will have 15 minutes to record their votes.

15 minutes later

THE END

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think Barnie Frank has thought about this? Come on people, he may be gay but he's not an idiot. I bet this gets amended to some finance bill that's green-lighted. Ship it Frist [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
H.R. 2046 voice vote

THE END

Alternate Ending

15 minutes later

THE END

[/ QUOTE ]

The good thing about being a committee chair is the scenario you described won't happen. If Frank's bill clears his committee, it will be attached to some other important bill that has to come through his committee. Also, I think he did a very good job of addressing the stated concerns of the opponents of Internet gambling, so that will help.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:50 PM

[censored] Kyl comes out against HR 2046.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 26, 2007

Andrew Wilder or Ryan Patmintra (202) 224-4521

Kyl Will Oppose Efforts to Remove Restrictions on Illegal Internet Gambling

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) today issued the following statement regarding legislation expected to be introduced by U.S. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) that would remove restrictions on illegal Internet gambling:

“I was privileged last year to join with my colleagues in passing legislation that provides federal and state authorities with the power to enforce existing laws prohibiting Internet gambling. For far too long, illegal gambling outlets have circumvented our laws by moving their operations overseas and capitalizing on the anonymity, reach, and unregulated environment the Internet offers.

“The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act was signed into law on October 13, 2006, to enhance law enforcement tools for curtailing online gambling activities that violate federal and state gambling laws. Principally, the new law requires financial systems to block fund transfers associated with illegal Internet gambling, which is the most effective way to halt the illegal activities of offshore websites beyond the reach of traditional law enforcement.

“I will strongly oppose any efforts to ease or remove the mechanisms that our state and federal authorities have long sought to help enforce existing laws prohibiting online gaming.”
Old 04-26-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] Kyl comes out against HR 2046.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 26, 2007

Andrew Wilder or Ryan Patmintra (202) 224-4521

Kyl Will Oppose Efforts to Remove Restrictions on Illegal Internet Gambling

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) today issued the following statement regarding legislation expected to be introduced by U.S. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) that would remove restrictions on illegal Internet gambling:

“I was privileged last year to join with my colleagues in passing legislation that provides federal and state authorities with the power to enforce existing laws prohibiting Internet gambling. For far too long, illegal gambling outlets have circumvented our laws by moving their operations overseas and capitalizing on the anonymity, reach, and unregulated environment the Internet offers.

“The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act was signed into law on October 13, 2006, to enhance law enforcement tools for curtailing online gambling activities that violate federal and state gambling laws. Principally, the new law requires financial systems to block fund transfers associated with illegal Internet gambling, which is the most effective way to halt the illegal activities of offshore websites beyond the reach of traditional law enforcement.

“I will strongly oppose any efforts to ease or remove the mechanisms that our state and federal authorities have long sought to help enforce existing laws prohibiting online gaming.”

[/ QUOTE ]

What a [censored] [censored]!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Kyl saying that's a good thing IMO.

First, he talks about all the illegal gambling that was stopped and how illegal=bad. That's why it's trying to be legal and legit. If his main argument is "Illegal=bad." "We stopped it, we should keep it up.", he's running out of ideas.

Second, he responded WAY too fast. He releases this the same day 2046 is formed smacks of overdefensiveness.

Of course, he's still the biggest enemy online gaming has besides inertia, but he's not as strong as he could be.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 PM

I'm all for this, but all that matters are two nasty words. "Signing Statement."
Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 PM

How easy is it to attach a bill like Frist did? Does it have to get past a certain point in the process before it can be attached? Frank couldn't attach 2046 to some bill say tomorrow, could he?