Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Flopped a set vs aggressive opponent

[ QUOTE ]
b/c the flop. b/3b the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

To drive away gutshots (on the flop)?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There must be something causing you to post this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand was checked down on the river and hero turned over his set and everyone else mucked.

I actually posted this hand on behalf of a friend with whom I debated the proper moves given the action. The two main questions we had was

1) Whether to check or bet on the river. Was the board such that you only get called by hands that beat you? Or are there enough hands that you beat that might call, that it warrants a bet. I thought a bet on the river was appropriate.

2) Was it correct to only C/C on the flop? With several cards (any 6 or 9 and to a lesser degree T or J) that could come on the turn that could either give someone a straight or be a scare card that would shut down the action, that it might be better to c/r on the flop. I did not think so and suggested C/C on the flop. This was dependent on the aggresive read of the UTG.

3) Once the 9 came on the turn, should we go for C/R or B? I actually preferred the B at this point as there were too many draws (flushes and straights) at this point to risk a check around.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

among other things. the pot is big and i like cutting odds. also, because it sets up a bet/3bet on the turn if raised on the flop. c/r is a good option as well, but they make fewer mistakes that way.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM

For the love all all things poker, check raise the flop!!! You are leaving your wallet on the table by not getting them all for two bets here.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

among other things. the pot is big and i like cutting odds. also, because it sets up a bet/3bet on the turn if raised on the flop. c/r is a good option as well, but they make fewer mistakes that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is live poker, they'll make the mistakes anyway. He has a strong hand on a semi-drawn board with perfect relative position. Most gut shots and dream-runner call in live games any, build a pot by pounding on them with a flop c/r.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the love all all things poker, check raise the flop!!! You are leaving your wallet on the table by not getting them all for two bets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

based on the pf action and game description, they'll call two cold pretty frequently on the flop when aggro guy raises. this gets a couple sbs in apiece and induces some pretty significant errors.

in addition we get to bring the hammer down on the turn. if it wasn't for the players/game texture, it's a textbook spot to c/r.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

based on the pf action and game description, they'll call two cold pretty frequently on the flop when aggro guy raises. this gets a couple sbs in apiece and induces some pretty significant errors.

in addition we get to bring the hammer down on the turn. if it wasn't for the players/game texture, it's a textbook spot to c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is when a brick hits the turn, they are all gone to UTGs bet, and you are not sure if UTG will stop putting bets in which would be a disaster. Donk and double donks freeze most live palyers.

We have to make a decision on what is most likely going to happen, this is UTG betting the flop and all behind calling. Had the flop been a hair more drawn, flush, a J instead of a 7, etc, I 100% agree to a flop donk but our opponent should bet-3bet. We can build a very nice pot with a flop c/r and if he 3-bets, depending on who calls, we can call there and c/r the turn or cap the flop.