Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: WPT Festa al Lago thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone needs to teach VVP how to pronounce "tsetse" and "crisis."

[/ QUOTE ]

That same person must no longer allow him to use "tsetse" to describe small bets on 2 different hands. Whatever happened to "massage bet" and "a little tickler bet"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do have to give credit to Vince Van Patten (and the producer) for coming up with new material and for injecting a little more "attitude" and "acid" (i.e. Norman Chad, Gabe Kaplan, Keith Olbermann) into his color commentary.

VVP needed to freshen up his commentary after Season 4, as he was recycling some of the same material he used in Season 1.

VVP's old stuff (digging the hole and putting the branches and twigs on top, show tunes going off in his head, etc.) appears to be gone from Season 5.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved my K high call. That was one of my favorite hands I played and was so glad it made it tv....If you cant understand that call then you must not be much of a player....

Andreas is going to bet that flop with any 2 cards as he had on 2 previous sb-bb hands, both times with J high....I elected to play a small pot as he was running god and was the only one who could bust me then......then the A hits and he fires again....I think about raising but on the off chance he had something big I didnt want to get blown off the hand or shove it in with 12 outs.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you started talking about this hand on the flop. Care to explain why you don't raise with KJs when it's folded to you in the SB? I can see limping trash or monsters, but a strong yet vulnerable hand like KJs, you're just giving up way too much by letting Andreas see a free flop with any two napkins.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:38 PM

If I raise and he reraises then I have to either put in a lot of money preflop out of position with a tough hand to play or fold what ended up being one of the best hands I was dealt all night....I hadnt decided for sure, but I thought about reraising him if he raised me and just trying to pick up a lot of dead money....

Also, I am more of a post flop player, I like to keep pots managable and play after the flop rather than just raise create a big pot I have to bluff at whatever....raising isnt wrong and I will do that a lot, just this time I chose to limp...

I know the "If your a post flop player why push with A5...."...I acknowledge my mistake in this hand, but at the time I have 7 rounds left 5 handed (100k per round in blinds and antes and about 10 min from going up)....if I fold it (which I should have done) then I have 600k after my blinds and if the next 3 pots are opened in front of me by AW, Joe, or Steve (highly likely) then when I get through the blinds again I have about .5 mill and blinds will be up and I have very little fold equity.

Also, I was so card dead that looked big to me (mistake)...I had all day AA, 77 (didnt show stole blinds), 66, 44, 44, A5 (3 times), A4, KJs, and j8s (didnt show took blinds).....and J5 and 52 100 times
Old 04-26-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Joe and hamburglar obviously you must not be much of a player if you think limping with pocket prs is horrible and I loved my K high call. That was one of my favorite hands I played and was so glad it made it tv....If you cant understand that call then you must not be much of a player....

Andreas is going to bet that flop with any 2 cards as he had on 2 previous sb-bb hands, both times with J high....I elected to play a small pot as he was running god and was the only one who could bust me then......then the A hits and he fires again....I think about raising but on the off chance he had something big I didnt want to get blown off the hand or shove it in with 12 outs.....

Now he fires the river again and I start to think....What does he have and what does he think I have.....Well I dont think he has an A or a big Q because as chip leader he probably wont let me see a flop with one of those hands, so he is not value betting 1 pr....he either has some well disguised 2 pr or 35 for a straight or more likely nothing.....he had to put me on a draw and thinks I will fold, he could have easily had the j7 or k3 or any 2 cards not making a pr and I have nut no pr....I think my call here is excellent and I stand by it and was glad it was shown....

Im down to 27 at the WPT Championship so with a lot of luck and some correct decision making, maybe I will have another chance on the big stage.....(Im sure I will see Hamburglar there!)

DB

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck David at the WPT. Damn, there are a lot of chips at your table!!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I was so card dead that looked big to me (mistake)...I had all day AA, 77 (didnt show stole blinds), 66, 44, 44, A5 (3 times), A4, KJs, and j8s (didnt show took blinds).....and J5 and 52 100 times

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm nobody to criticize someone who has made it to a WPT final table, and I obviously applaud the efforts of anyone who does, but...

Being card dead is really no excuse. You find situations to make moves. Look, in that hand where steamin' Joe opened with 85s, you called with 44, Andreas called, then Steve reraised with KQs, you called AGAIN, then folded the flop: if you sensed weakness in Joe, why not 3-bet him with the 44? Andreas will fold and it's a very tough call for Steve with you 3-betting with your tight image. He'll fold KQs there (he folded TT to a Joe raise and 3-bet from Chris), and as it turns out Joe would have mucked too -- so you take the pot down there. Or if Joe calls, play poker with him after the flop.

It just seems that I've seen plenty of good players pick up chips without too much in the way of cards. Look at some final tables with Mizrachi, Lindgren, Negreanu, or J.C. Tran. They can run up a chip lead while being card dead.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm nobody to criticize someone who has made it to a WPT final table, and I obviously applaud the efforts of anyone who does, but...

Being card dead is really no excuse. You find situations to make moves. Look, in that hand where steamin' Joe opened with 85s, you called with 44, Andreas called, then Steve reraised with KQs, you called AGAIN, then folded the flop: if you sensed weakness in Joe, why not 3-bet him with the 44?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I hated the way you played that 44. Other than that, I thought you did a heck of a job. Good luck and good job getting down to the final 27.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

David -- you weren't whining and your behavior was just fine. It sucks to work that hard with a fairly tight table image for days and have someone call with that. I am not blaming Pelton for the call as he obviously thought he was good or as he even said, he decided to gamble. But from what I saw, everyone at that table had decent manners all night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind you, I don't think it's anything to get too upset about, (the guy's human and playing for $1 million+ dollars for probably the first time, I don't really hold it against him) but I don't know how you can say it wasn't whining.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM

I just saw the episode and it was very entartaining, IMO one of the best WPT final tables to watch. I didn't like that KQo call. Without seeing all the hands playd, I think that David had been playing at least reasonably tight poker and there was almost no chance that KQ was the better of these hands. David's pushing range was probably something like any ace, any pair, KJ+, QJ and KQ is not good against this range.

Nice play by all the players at the table, I was happy to see that Joe survived that A-T-T flop where he pushed all in with nothing against that Dutch guy who had raised pre flop and who then made a very tight laydown on that flop with 99, I think most players would have called that bet with those stack sizes.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
VVP's old stuff (digging the hole and putting the branches and twigs on top, show tunes going off in his head, etc.) appears to be gone from Season 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only seen the last 3 eps this season and he has said the first phrase at least 2 times per ep.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nice play by all the players at the table, I was happy to see that Joe survived that A-T-T flop where he pushed all in with nothing against that Dutch guy who had raised pre flop and who then made a very tight laydown on that flop with 99, I think most players would have called that bet with those stack sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Steve Wong guy did make a couple of good plays, but he also screwed up a lot. He thinks (or acts like he thinks) he's better than he is. First of all, he had that huge hilarious tell every time he had a big hand -- shaking his head, looking up, and sighing when he checked the nuts and his opponent bet.

But the worst was his final hand. His opponent raises preflop. Bets the flop. Checkraises the turn. Pushes the river. And he still thinks his top pair no kicker is good? Even funnier was his reaction -- he saw the hand and he goes "Sick! Oh, that is so sick!"

No, no it isn't. It was quite the opposite of sick. It was a totally standard situation. Opponent flops a set and gets value on every street because Steve couldn't get away from a pair. What's sick about it? Was there some disgusting draw out we missed? Some crazy 1-outer? Runner runner? Horrible cooler?

No. Top pair vs. bottom set. Welcome to poker, Steve.