Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Interesting 6/12 LHE Hand

I just have to write this one down to get it out of my system. I had already suffered a few minor beats and was down $100 after about 2 hours when this hand came up.

I was UTG+2 and limped with 79c as this was a pretty loose/passive table with lots of limping and mutiway pots. To my amazement no other limpers and it gets to the button who raises. No real read on this guy as he is fairly new to the table. Big blind calls as well as me.
Flop comes 5,8,J rainbow which is decent for me as I can hit a 6 or 10 to make a straight. BB and I check and button bets, BB folds I call hoping to hit the turn.
Turn comes perfect (or so I thought) 10h.
Yippe I'm going to win a nice pot. I check to him knowing he would bet which he did. I raise, he makes it three, I make it four and he makes it 5. I am really putting him on a set here but when he puts in the fifth bet I pause to look at the board and realize that the only hand that beats me is Q,9. Did he really raise from the button with Q,9? I really don't think so but decide to just see the river and be confident I have the best hand if the board doesn't pair or make a flush possible.
River is 2s so no pair on board and no flush possible. He bets, I make it 2, he makes it 3 and I am stunned and shocked that I really now think he does have Q,9. I call and he shows Q,9 to take down the pot. This was such a cooler as he hit the nuts and I had the second nuts after the turn.

When would you have stopped betting/raising?
Would you have played it any differently? I guess leading out after the flop or checkraising after the flop would have been a good idea. I doubt it would have changed the outcome much but maybe he would fold there.

Thanks for listening and I already feel better just getting it out.
Any comments and sympathies appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Interesting 6/12 LHE Hand

bad beat. Turn and river are standard.

BBV material IMO, sorry bro
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM

I already posted in BBV forum and got flammed and no constructive resposes so I decided to post here for intelligent discussion.

It's so easy to spot when board comes three suited or board pairs but these hidden straights are usually gold. No way I didn't think I had the best hand until he put in the third bet on the riv.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:40 PM

BBV doesn't really like us limit guys. One of those facts of life.

FWIW, I like his play here. He isolated preflop on a lone limper with a borderline hand, used his position, and won a huge pot in that hand over hand situation. If he is going to play Q9 there, he should have raised with it preflop.

As far as what you could do different, limping 97s first in from EP isn't usually such a great idea (even if it is a loose/passive table). Other than that, meh...he's not going to make it 5 bets on the turn very often with "just" a set, so I'd have just check/called the river as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:55 PM

Yeah I usually like to have at least one limper ahead of me before I limp with hands like this but this table had been really passive with many limped around multiway pots.
When he put that 5th bet in on the turn I slowed down and examined things but I still couldn't believe he had the Q,9. I really thought I had the best hand until the three bet on the river.
I was a little bit tilty too at the time having just gone through a couple of other minor beats and that may have played into the heavy betting and raising in this hand. I'm glad I slowed myself down and thought it out after the turn 5 bet. I don't see how I'm not losing a lot of money on this hand.
Good lesson though in that even if you have a huge hand you can be, and probably are, beat if you don't have the nuts and this kind of betting breaks out.
Interested in other comments suggestions on this one!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM

I am a little surprised at the feedback you recieved thus far on this hand.

First, this is not a bad beat. You will notice that the villian was ahead on every street. After the turn it is a bit of a cooler but this hand should never have gotten there.

Second, limping pf in this spot is a large error. Even if the table has been loose passive pf. I think everyone makes this error from time to time and I think that 90% of the time it is due to subtle tilt. The reason to not limp here is it opens you up to the nightmare scenario. Namely, that everyone will fold to LP who will raise and you will be forced to play this hand out of position two or three handed. I know that this may not be likely on this table but the reason that you do not play this hand here is to protect yourself from this very situation.

If you make this limp often you have a major leak in your game. If it was tilt induced, you have a minor leak that you should try to patch.

It sounds like you understand that you shouldnt be playing this hand in this spot so I think you just need to work on subtle tilt creeping into your decisions. I have a penchant for this type of error too. You can see from the result of this hand how much an error like this can sometimes cost.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Thanks Leykis,
I do want some more opinions and feedback on this hand. I know it's not wise to limp here but as I said I was bit tilty after a few early beats and the table had been very loose/passive. Provided it was a bad open limp how would you have reacted from flop on? I can see arguements for leading out flop, check-raising or just calling.
When the 10 hit the turn obviously I was committed to the hand and thought I had way the best hand until he made it five bets.
Provided you had already limped how would you guys play the rest of the hand?
When would think that you are beat?
Thanks Guys
Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM

First the title: "Interesting 6/12 LHE Hand"

---Not really that interesting.

Second is this: "I just have to write this one down to get it out of my system. I had already suffered a few minor beats and was down $100 after about 2 hours when this hand came up."

---I'm not trying to sound mean, but we really don't care. This kinda stuff makes most of us not want to read the rest of your post. But I did....

Next you write: "I was UTG+2 and limped with 79c."

---Fold this 100% of the time here.

Third: "Did he really raise from the button with Q,9?"

---Nice play by the villian here. He tried isolate an early position limper, finally got HU and outplayed you.

Finally: "River is 2s so no pair on board and no flush possible. He bets, I make it 2, he makes it 3 and I am stunned and shocked."

---Should slowed way down on the turn and check/called the river.

Hope this helps.