Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: $25: Low PP vs active opponent

1. He checks turn, you bet turn.

For this hand the turn was a K, so this probably folds out all the likes of AJ, AQ, etc etc. Also the K could be a scare card for the guy, forcing him to fold a few hands that are ahead of your hand.

2. He checks, you check.

If you think the turn card helped him/he's strong, or just want a free card you check behind and try to make your hand. On the river you are now faced with the same decision as you would have by just calling flop and turn(the money you've put in the pot will be about the same), so you can basically make the same decision you did in your hand with a little bit more info. The advantage is that you've forced him to a decision(on flop) one more time than you would have by just calling down.

But in reality we don't know that the turn will be K and I think raising the flop is favorable also because of this reason. (i.e. A on turn, etc)

Edit: IF villan bets out check/raises, will have to evaluate turn card, odds and play accordingly.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You raise the flop, Villan calls, WHats the turn/River plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I wouldn't normally raise this flop against this villain but if I did and got called:

If the turn blanks and he checks I would check behind. If he bets I would call if I thought I was getting odds to draw but fold if he bet big. Then if the river blanks again I would c/f.

Overall though I don't like raising the flop here because I think that it is fairly easy to play this hand against this villain IP. If he checks the turn after we call his cbet then we will be able to take it away from him a large % of the time. If he bets the turn then we will know he has a decent hand and will be able to decide whether we have odds to draw or whatever.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 AM

For what it's worth though not many villans in 25nl are check raising, or donking turn after flat calling flop unless turn greatly improved them, or they started a monster to begin with.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM

I think raising flop pretty much just buys you a free card on the turn if villian calls.

It think calling is more +ev because we have a decent draw and position if we raise flop we stand a chance of getting bet off our draw. Plus we have position and our read is that villian shuts down on turn sometimes so we have a good chance of just picking up the pot on the turn.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You all fold 44 on river, yet some of you believe betting AK on river is ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think c/c'ing the river with AK is best. There is a small chance that you will get called by 66-99. TT+ will 3bet pf and 99 could also 3bet pf. It is possible that you could be floating here with KQ as you have seen villain give up on his cbets on the turn, and then you hit a K and decided to call instead. So apart from an unlikely KQ (which should probably fold the river anyway) and 66-99 (which will generally also fold) I think that betting AK on the river only get called by better hands. However if you c/c you may well induce a bluff from a hand that would have folded if you had bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

CHA CHING! Hence checking here vs a good opponent is good.
Not all the time, image/history/tilt/other factors everywhere to consider - but here, the draw missed... what do you honestly think hero is goign to call us with???

Raising vs this fairly agressive player isnt wrong, neither is calling IMO. A few merits of either:

Raising: Free card, Fold out better hands(77), Protect from OC's, Find out where you are(But you lose cash when reraised).

Calling: Induced bluffs from AK etc, Can bluff yourself once he gives up to protect your hand/steal pot.

Results are in white below...
<font color="white">I was villan, i had QJ and tripple barreled, yeh it was NL$25. Flop is easy cbet, turn is perfect card to represent. On the river i figure villan to have 44 or a small overpair, both of which are close to impossible to call. IF i had AK, i'd of checked and called a bet.

Did i play it perfectly or did villan? IMO villan should fold river and his flop play is close to raise or call - Personally vs such a aggro guy like me, i like calling... Then again since i raise T9, when the 9 hits will he still call me down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]? Probably, $$$ for me. </font>
Old 04-26-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">I was villan, i had QJ and tripple barreled, yeh it was NL$25. Flop is easy cbet, turn is perfect card to represent. On the river i figure villan to have 44 or a small overpair, both of which are close to impossible to call. IF i had AK, i'd of checked and called a bet.

Did i play it perfectly or did villan? IMO villan should fold river and his flop play is close to raise or call - Personally vs such a aggro guy like me, i like calling... Then again since i raise T9, when the 9 hits will he still call me down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]? Probably, $$$ for me. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.

Do you think he called the river because he thought out the hand like you did or is just a CS?

FWIW I don't mind a river call here that much with 44 if villain is a decent reg that I play with a lot, as it is good for metagame.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:58 AM

I was iffy about calling the turn, and I like this analysis to explain my gut feeling a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I really don't think the implied odds support a turn call given that when you make your hand, the board is going to look fairly coordinated.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Fold on the turn. But I would have raised the flop.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop acomplishes a couple things, and there are a few advantages and disadantages of raising the flop but here are my thoughts.

By raising the flop.
1. You take control of the hand, making it easier to play it on later streets.
2. You fold out hands that you are ahead of(overcards), which is actually not such a bad thing in this case; or get calls from them which isn't that bad either.
3. There are of course disadvantages, you may not be able to cheaply(relatively) draw to your straight, but at the same time you will know exactly where you stand, for example he re-raises all in. Drawing has advantages but how likely is it that you will get paid off a significant amount if a 6 falls on river.
4. Your hand becomes somewhat more deceptive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising also puts pressure on 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ and some nits may fold QQ because you obviously have a set on this board. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.

Do you think he called the river because he thought out the hand like you did or is just a CS?

FWIW I don't mind a river call here that much with 44 if villain is a decent reg that I play with a lot, as it is good for metagame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling station, stacked him twice after this hand lol