Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 03:52 AM

Default Re: The Ten Worst People, 1900-2000

I am sure that the "worst" people in the sense of "commited the worst attrocities" are ALL living in africa.

Africa is WAY worse than hitler mao pol pot etc...
I read on The Economist of a story of bunch of military officers in Sudan that stopped a group of about 12 woman (of minority race) gang-raped them all, killed 11 of them, with the remaining one, went to her house, forced her to COOK AND EAT HER OWN CHILDREN, then cut of her VAGINA, made her eat it also, and let her go away to tell the story.

Can you imagine anything worse than that
[censored]

oh, at least 1 bullet i reserve to michael moore i guess
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, even if I had the option to go back in time and kill Hitler, even if it posed no harm to me, and if it didn't end in the time travelling paradox that I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure that I would.
It's simply impossible to know what the greater ramifications would have been if Hitler had never come to power in Germany (although it certainly SEEMS as though the benefits would far outweigh the negatives, you can't know what the negatives would be).

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed, there is a novel based on this exact concept - Making History by Stephen Fry. Someone goes back in time and puts contraceptive in the well from which Hitler's mother draws her water - resulting in Hitler never being born.

However, the extreme economic situation in late 1920s/early 30s Germany is exactly the same, so the conditions for a far-right person to take advantage and take power are still there. A leader emerged who does the same as Hitler, except either doesn't kill the Jews or keeps it a secret from the top German Jewish scientists. In 1942 Germany develop the atomic bomb and you can guess the rest...
Old 02-24-2006, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I can't say a few of them becuase Secret Service would not like it. "

Boy howdy. That one sentence puts your political philosophy in a little box, doesn't it? Very sad.

You need a new country.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need better reading comprehension skills. 1990-2000 does not include Bush. I was not talking about him. And I'm actually a registered Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he might have meant that if anyone on your list that has Secret Service protection is higher up than people like Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. then you might have some issues.

But you might have been correct in your interpretation; it's hard to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they obviously aren't as high up as the four dictators you listed, but surely a lot of US presidents have killed people. Truman killed in the hundreds of thousands with the two atomic bombs. Of course he doesn't need Secret Service protection anymore(obviously), but you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it have made you feel better had it been accomplished with thousands of conventional bombs?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Boy howdy. That one sentence puts your political philosophy in a little box, doesn't it? Very sad.

You need a new country.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need better reading comprehension skills. 1990-2000 does not include Bush. I was not talking about him. And I'm actually a registered Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he might have meant that if anyone on your list that has Secret Service protection is higher up than people like Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. then you might have some issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they obviously aren't as high up as the four dictators you listed, but surely a lot of US presidents have killed people. Truman killed in the hundreds of thousands with the two atomic bombs. Of course he doesn't need Secret Service protection anymore(obviously), but you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it have made you feel better had it been accomplished with thousands of conventional bombs?

[/ QUOTE ]
Conventional bombs don't increase the cancer rate for decades. Plus there's evidence that the atomic bombs were dropped to intimidate the Russians and that Japan had been trying to negotiate a surrender.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You need a new country.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Conventional bombs don't increase the cancer rate for decades. Plus there's evidence that the atomic bombs were dropped to intimidate the Russians and that Japan had been trying to negotiate a surrender.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took an honors seminar on the decision to drop the bombs a few years ago. We looked at declassified documents, contemporary periodicals, etc. It was one of the more interesting classes I'd ever taken and everyone basically came up with their own conclusions based on what they read. To me it seemed that the decision had a gigantic political aspect to it and that dropping the bombs could have been avoided. The declassified documents were the smoking gun for me, as there was plenty of squabbling about the Russians and not as much discussion of not being able to end the war otherwise as history would have you think.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You need a new country.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I took an honors seminar on the decision to drop the bombs a few years ago. We looked at declassified documents, contemporary periodicals, etc. It was one of the more interesting classes I'd ever taken and everyone basically came up with their own conclusions based on what they read. To me it seemed that the decision had a gigantic political aspect to it and that dropping the bombs could have been avoided. The declassified documents were the smoking gun for me, as there was plenty of squabbling about the Russians and not as much discussion of not being able to end the war otherwise as history would have you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting; can you recommend any good material on the episode?