Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Tipping in the Dark

This one time, I tipped when the lights went out for a few mins.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one time, I tipped when the lights went out for a few mins.

[/ QUOTE ]

COVER YOUR CHIPS WHEN THE LIGHTS GOT OUT!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 PM

usually, it is used in the "call me" routine. guy starts to muck his hand. says, "just fold, you can't call." puts a tip on top of his cards. etc... etc...

i almost never do it, but i don't care when others do. it usually doesn't slow up the game because the other player is almost always debating a call. talking to that player generally makes him act quicker.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
usually, it is used in the "call me" routine. guy starts to muck his hand. says, "just fold, you can't call." puts a tip on top of his cards. etc... etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely why I put a chip on my cards in some situations when I know I have the winner and I am trying to induce a call (and induce future bad play if the player is prone to steam). Players assume its a tell that your hand is weak, when they see how strong you are they take it personally (as shown by the OP in this thread) which of course induces future call downs, bluff raises, etc from the mark. If you know your opponents tendancies and want to extract those tendancies, the blind tip is a viable sollution to manipulationg your opponents actions - its an "expert play".

On a related note what many of the low limit forum regulars consider an angle shoot, i sometimes consider a great old school psychological play. Think about it... since when did B&M poker become a nice game where everyone respects each other's personal needs? Television. I'm very good at the meta game aspects of poker (its probably my best trait as a live player), psychology and salesmanship comes natural to me - its something you should all strive to include within your game. Perhaps thats why i downplay tells as much as I do (3% on average of my decision making process), I'm much better at applying the knowledge learned from a tell than the average person is because I understand psychology as well as I do.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On a related note what many of the low limit forum regulars consider an angle shoot, i sometimes consider a great old school psychological play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything they DON'T consider an angle?