Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Buy Car and immediately move (+ other moving advice)

Hey guys, I'm going to cross-post this in OOT, I think that's the best place to get a lot of traffic for people who have been in similar situations.

I've got a job that's going to take me out of my home state (NJ) to Connecticut for 12 months. Then I go back to Jersey for at least 12 months if not 2-3 yrs or even a decade.

I'll be buying a car (in NJ) when I graduate. My father mentioned that he thinks it might be possible that CT tries to stick me with extra sales tax because I just bought the car within days before moving. Is this possible? It sounds remotely reasonable.

Second, is there a reason to change residency? Will I pay higher car insurance rates for living in Connecticut while my car/etc is registered to me being an NJ resident? More importantly, are there reasons *not* to change residency for a year?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Buy Car and immediately move (+ other moving advice)

I cannot speak for NJ or CT, but I bought a car in Ohio and moved down to NC, and NC checked to make sure I paid at least as much tax in OH as I would have paid in NC. They do this for any car less than one year old.

In my case, Ohio taxes cars at 5.75%, and North Carolina only taxed at 3%, so I am an idiot.