Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: I hate you coldcallers

maybe i'm playing too many cash games, but in a 4-way, 3-bet pot that includes multiple cold-callers, the first cold-caller to act behind you often times has a hand like JJ+,AK; the SB has any PP, occasionally suited connectors, but probably drops hands like AJ and AQo. The original raiser calls or pushes with his entire raising range except maybe dominated, offsuit high cards.

Against these players, the one with the range that has you most crushed is acting right behind you after the others have checked. He probably won't call with AK, but it's possible.

The first two either have junk or will call your push if nobody else does. So, how often do none of these 3 players have an overpair TT+, set, two pair, or a really terribly played AK that can't let go postflop?

You're a 3:1 dog against a calling range of 22-55,99+,AsKs (1 combo of AK since it's a possible but unlikely hand for you to be called with). You win 7k if you get a fold, and on average you lose t2750 when called by one player.
So ALL THREE PLAYERS need to fold about 39% of the time for this to be breakeven. If you widen their calling range to 22+,AsKs, or even just 22+, you still need ALL THREE PLAYERS to fold more than 33% of the time for this to be breakeven.

I would be surprised if they really all folded that often. If they do, then this play is great.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like there might be some fishy players in the hand who will call with any overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM

WOW!!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you widen their calling range to 22+,AsKs, or even just 22+, you still need ALL THREE PLAYERS to fold more than 33% of the time for this to be breakeven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though this should be obvious, this means EACH player needs to be folding 70%+ of their hands here for this to be +EV.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 AM

ok there was some good discussion here this is basically a postflop squeeze putting pressure on those first to act with fear of your hand as well as those still to act. I rarely find such a good spot for this vs soo many opp I'm sure all of you have done it with FDs and the like but that's soo much cleaner and easier to do work to find other spots like that when they appear.

As for this hand they all folded almost instantly like a set of dominoes. Later on I saw CO cold calling in a lot of awful spots and a few hands got to showdown and they were bad like he easily could of had K10o here and the like.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 AM

Wow- this might be results oriented, but that's a pretty impressive move.

NH.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 AM

I cover this AI with AK with no doubts.