Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: any experience with laptop spills out there?

I spilled a margarita on mine, I just pried off the keys and wiped it up with a towel, it was a little sticky for a while but that passed
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 AM

So, to remind people of the OP: this happened last night. The turning off, removing battery, drying overnight steps are now out of play.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, to remind people of the OP: this happened last night. The turning off, removing battery, drying overnight steps are now out of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok few things you can do

Dry it off 100%, so after its full drainned the blow dryer is a great idea how3ever you need to be sure every part is dry right away, once the water seeps into anywhere consider that part gone.

If you can and are able you could take the notebook apart and dry out the pieces this is the best bet

Depending how old your notebook is you can possibly get the keyboard repaired under warranty just never admit you spilled anything on it. If its more then just the keyboard and they want +400 for the repair AND the notebook is more then 2 years old just trash it and get a new one
Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM

ya, hopefully there is not a water mark that changes color when it gets wet. NEVER admit you did anything wrong to warrant damage to the computer, ie., It was working and then I heard a beep and then I dont know what happened blahblahmeowchow. Good luck, not much you can do fix the dead parts.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 PM

I had a diet coke incident freshman year - said it was going to cost like $300 to fix it. I found the orig manufacturer, ordered the keyboard ($30) and had one of the engineers at my job help me swap it. Worked like a charm and got to say 'suck it best buy'
Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a diet coke incident freshman year - said it was going to cost like $300 to fix it. I found the orig manufacturer, ordered the keyboard ($30) and had one of the engineers at my job help me swap it. Worked like a charm and got to say 'suck it best buy'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd love to be able to order the keyboard and swap the thing myself. I don't think taking the thing apart is going to involve much more than a couple of Allen keys and removing a ribbon cable. So far, Dell's web page has proved unhelpful in trying to track down something that useful since the warranty has expired. I'll probably call them in the near future.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:34 PM

btw rubbing alcohol and q-tips works wonders for degunking stuff, just to reiterate what guids said. vodka works too!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd love to be able to order the keyboard and swap the thing myself. I don't think taking the thing apart is going to involve much more than a couple of Allen keys and removing a ribbon cable. So far, Dell's web page has proved unhelpful in trying to track down something that useful since the warranty has expired. I'll probably call them in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can, pull out the keyboard and look underneath to see who the orig manufactuer is - prob not dell.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct in thinking that replacing the keyboard is easy. I spilled chicken soup on my Compaq a few years ago. Fortunately, it was under warranty (I had the accident coverage), and they shipped me out a new one right away.

It was interesting to see that there was a metal plate underneath the keyboard, which protected the guts of the computer (there were a couple holes, but also fortunately, the soup was thick, so I was able to prevent a disaster).
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 PM

Hair dryer. But probably to late. If you spill liquid on anything you need to immediately turn it off and dry it out with a hair dryer. If you can get power off of it quickly you will have a chance of saving it.