Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 AM

Default AKs facing AI from BB in limped pot.

Normally, I would fold this hand, as not to risk a good portion of my stack to at best a coin flip.

NLHE Tournament:

blinds 5/10 (starting stacks of t100)

Hero (BTN): ~ t400 [AhKh]
Villain (BB): ~t200 [??]

(7 players)

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls 10, MP2 folds, Hero(BTN) calls 10, SB folds (?), BB raises all-in t200

MP1 folds, Hero???

Results in white:
<font color="white">
BB shows [7c7h]
Board [66T][8][J]

BB wins with two pair 7's &amp; 6's
Hero mucks 6's A high
</font>
History:
Villain just came to the table a few hands ago.
I have been running over the table with 1/2 good cards, 1/2 good playing.
Villain in clearly 2nd to me in chips at our table.

I know, obv. raise PF with AK.

In this tournament a PF raise rarely takes down a pot, I wanted to see a flop before I committed chips to the hand.

I do not think AA - QQ would push here with very little money in the pot to take. At worst I am up against 55 - JJ, and at best he has AT - AQ (or trying to steal).

What do you think about committing 1/2 of our stack to this hand?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: AKs facing AI from BB in limped pot.

You have to raise preflop OTB with a limper. It doesn't matter if you don't take the pot. If people are going to call, make it 50 or 60.

Close decision on the push. You are probably a little ahead of villain's range. You have 4 buyins presumably early in the tournament, so I don't know if I want to gamble 2 of them if it is cloise in cEV.

I assume this is a live club or home game tournament. What is the buyin?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM

I didn't want to post the buy in, cause it would probably affect the comments. It is a live, free bar tournament, I go on Mondays to screw around and see if I can take 1st (they only pay 1st place).

I agree with the PF raise, I don't remember why I limped, maybe trying to get cute, or stacking chips from raking previous pot.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Sounded like a bar tournament. You need to post that, and it should effect the comments.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 AM

I "try" to play these things like I would a real tournament (usually an -EV play). I think I probably would have folded the AK there in a situation where I knew the blinds were not going to rocket up in the near future. In these bar tournaments it is important to get chips as fast as you can, due to the blind structure.

i agree with the fact that since it is a free tournament the ideal strategy changes a lot.

What is this was a Live $100 buy in tournament with at least competent opponents? Does this become an easier fold?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:38 AM

I would say this is probably a call. You are either about even with villain's range if he is usually pushing AK or JJ or something or you are ahead of a real maniac. I would say in a bar tournament, this is a call, particularly since you still have 2 buyins if you lose.

In a live $100 MTT, you are still looking at bad play, but not of the same degree. I would usually assume the overbet pusher doesn't know what he is doing and call with AKs.