Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Strategy adaptations to very passive table?

I'm playing in some WSOP seat freerolls with very fishy players. 5 or 6 to a flop (9-handed), unraised 90% of the time. Also the players often refuse to let go of a hand. I've also seen top pair checked down to a showdown 3-ways. So there are a lot of free showdowns if I want them.

What kind of adjustments should I make here? I feel like I should be limping more with small pairs and suited connectors, looking for the big hit that gets paid off.

Also, how do you play big pairs post flop in this situation?
With all kinds of hands like Q5, J7, etc. seeing the flop, I always feel like there's a two pair monster under the bed.

Just looking for advice, I'm pretty new to huge field MTTs of 3000+ players.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Strategy adaptations to very passive table?

I think you are on the right track.

According to Sklansky, loose tables are good for small pairs and suited connectors, and if the table is passive you should be playing more hands.

Pay close attention to the betting, calling and raising standards of each player, especially the loose ones that you are more likely to come up agains because they are in so many hands.

As for how to play big pairs, the answer is very carefully. Players are going to be trying to crack As Ks and Qs, and will call your pre-flop raise with a lot of hands. Read Doyle's advice about playing them in SS. Don't commit a lot of chips unles you get a good flop. Go slow if the flop pairs, or if it is 3 flushed or 3 straight cards that look dangerious.

If it is one of those Preliminary Freerolls where the top 50 players go on to another tournament, take careful note of your stack size as you approach the bubble. I made a silly raise, then folded to a set which cost me over a quarter of my chips, then ask myself why I did that. I could have coasted into qualification. Try to calculate the stack size at which you have a good chance to coast the rest of the way, and tighten up accordingly.

Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Strategy adaptations to very passive table?

See the flop with any speculative hand. Generally raise AQ+, 99+ and occasionally some similar weaker hands and suited connectors. Raise your big hands fairly large.

Play carefully postflop with an overpair or top pair. Make reasonably large value bets. Don't slowplay much. Don't bluff much.