Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 AM

Default 25NL: River trips and villain confuses me. Help on river?

Villain is a bit loose preflop and is an overall loser (26/18/4) over 2700 hands. To be honest though, I had not seen anything that would cause him to be as big of a loser in the game as he has been. He seemed reasonable (keep in mind most of the hands were dm'd).

All that being said, the river donk really shocked the hell outta me and I was thoroughly confused as to what he'd do this with. Thoughts on his range here and what's your river play, but feel free to comment on all streets.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $36.20
BB: $39.35
UTG: $25
<u>CO: $40.50</u>
<u>Hero (BTN): $88.75</u>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.85</font>, Hero calls $0.85, 2 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $2.05</font>, Hero calls $2.05

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($6.15) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $6.15</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $17.30</font>, CO calls $11.15

<font color="black">River:</font> ($40.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $8.50</font>, Hero ???
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: 25NL: River trips and villain confuses me. Help on river?

Raise flop (but fold to a 3bet), and shut down if called. Even most draws have a ton of equity against you on this board. As played call river, you see a worse ten here a lot. I don't think raising has that much value given his line. This either looks like a blockbet with a worse ten/straight or a suckbet with a hand that beats you. Just call.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 AM

I would raise all in .. of cuorse he could have a flush or fh .. but then he probably would push the river and not just that stupid tiny donk bet.

[ QUOTE ]
This either looks like a blockbet with a worse ten or a suckbet with a hand that beats you. Just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should this be a blockbet? he has 20$ left and if he will be raised he get like 7:1 odds and cant fold anyway. its just a totally lost bet and will just be a marginal hand most of the time.

any hand that beat you would push river
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 AM

Well on the river, I think that the only option is to call. Too many hands beat you to justify a raise there. Folding isn't an option.

CO's river bet is flat-out goofy. You say his overall play seemed reasonable, but I can't figure out what he would have that would justify him calling the turn and then betting the river. What does he have that explains his behavior on each street? I don't know.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 AM

Raise all in, all day every day, it could be suckbet but who cares, they are dangerous as hell with chips behind but with just 13 or so bucks left he's just tying himself to the pot if its a blocker which its very likely to be.

Ask your self what you would do if he checked, if it was bet him all in then if its a suck bet it gains nothing, if its a block bet it saves 13.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise all in .. of cuorse he could have a flush or fh .. but then he probably would push the river and not just that stupid tiny donk bet.

[ QUOTE ]
This either looks like a blockbet with a worse ten or a suckbet with a hand that beats you. Just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should this be a blockbet? he has 20$ left and if he will be raised he get like 7:1 odds and cant fold anyway. its just a totally lost bet and will just be a marginal hand most of the time.

any hand that beat you would push river

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, was looking at hero's stack and not CO's.
I still call here but that does seem weaker seeing CO's stack. He's taken a very confusing line here. Still, I think this is a straight or a missed draw more often than it is a worse ten.

This is why raising flop is so important. It lets us know if he's on a pure cbet or if he has a hand. If he 3bets, he probably has a set/2pair/combo draw/straight/flush, you have terrible equity and can fold. If he calls, that turn is still really tough to play. Basically, on this flop I really rate his hand more towards draws and less toward made hands that we beat if he is to call our raise; I think worse tens are going to shut down to a raise on this flop: even if they call, they are not going to lead any turn, even if they turn trips. For this reason I think raising flop hard is best, folding to any turn lead even with trips unless you have odds to fill up (after raising flop, as played you can't). If he checks and you check behind, then I think raising a safe river is correct.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise all in, all day every day, it could be suckbet but who cares, they are dangerous as hell with chips behind but with just 13 or so bucks left he's just tying himself to the pot if its a blocker which its very likely to be.

Ask your self what you would do if he checked, if it was bet him all in then if its a suck bet it gains nothing, if its a block bet it saves 13.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, however, I'm not certain I shove if he checks river to me, which I think he might do with most non-nut flushes as well as with straights.

It seems to me that his range here is trips/missed draw/straight/flush. I mostly discount the boat because he's either shoving turn or shoving river with it. Regardless of what he has, he's played it weirdly enough that trying to figure out exactly what he has is an exercise in futility. Rather, I just look at that range, see that we're behind most of it, and parts of it that we're ahead often don't even call if we shove.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that his range here is trips/missed draw/straight/flush. I mostly discount the boat because he's either shoving turn or shoving river with it. Regardless of what he has, he's played it weirdly enough that trying to figure out exactly what he has is an exercise in futility. Rather, I just look at that range, see that we're behind most of it, and parts of it that we're ahead often don't even call if we shove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 AM

I think its a made flush or straight (on the flop) scared of a boat or a better flush. Better if you raised the flop.

ps Quit calling with AT preflop.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM

Fold preflop. ATo is crap. I dont like a raise on the flop because we beat only AQo,AKo,. If you think the villain has an overpair like AA-QQ than your turn raise makes sense. Which means also that you have to shove the river. What did you put him on ?