FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Paleolithic Diets

Parlay Slow,

Hahahaha. Very nice.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 AM

Parlay Slow,

"Either that or you take training advice from a 60 year old 130 pound bald indian dude that hasn't lifted a weight in his life."

Um, basically all I was saying was that I'm confident my diet is healthy because of my doctor's advice. I wasn't referring to athletic fitness in any way. Reading comprehension ftw.

Thremp,

I just ordered my copy of Starting Strength. I don't want to be skinny fat. Remember, I was 260 at one point. I'm down to 215 and ready to start increasing calories to 1800-2k and doing strength training. I just wanted to lose some sloppy fat first. I will continue to eat completely clean calories.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Nation...how much muscle loss did you have during this extreme calorie restriction diet?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 AM

that's what nation doesn't get

he has probably lost like 35 pounds of muscle mass during this starvation period
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 AM

nation, I'm pretty sure you won't need to worry about skinny fat; look out for fat fat first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Unlike pretty much everyone on this board, I don't think your extreme calorie-restrictive diet is the end of the world. You just need to make sure that the transition from that to a healthier maintenance diet is smooth -- sometimes easier said than done. I don't worry too much since you seem fairly disciplined, which is a major boon for you. Make sure you read that copy of Starting Strength over, because you will want to supplement your dieting with lifting to retain muscle mass.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:18 AM

skunkworks,

thanks. to be honest, i really didn't (don't) mind losing lbm. my primary goal is to not look like a huge fatass. i'm happy to work hard to build that lbm back. my only problems with this is concerns about lowering metabolism. i drink green tea extract in water every morning (along with my multivitamin) and have been really strict in the past two months about eating 6 small meals.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 AM

Hi,

Well, to re-hijack.

[ QUOTE ]
Slow Cooker... why didn't I ever think about that? I could easily live off of a chicken/veggie/bean/broth concoction, with an egg and oatmeal for breakfast. I'm having a dieting epiphany.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I think beans and oatmeal are not on the allowed list.

This is a good site I found which summarizes the important principles as well as lists allowed foods:
http://www.healingcrow.com/dietsmain/paleo/paleo.html

Is it possible to take in enough carbs to fuel strenuous workouts, gain muscle mass, and stay lean with this diet ?

I have ADD and will try it after reading that this problem could be worsened by toxins present in these grain products and/or a deficiency in omega 3 fatty acids.

Best wishes,
Ethan