Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Default xbox 360, what do i need, how much?

so i havent bought a console since n64 but due to not having anything to do this summer i was thinking about pickin up a 360. i havent paid attention to console stuff for years so i have no idea what i need. before it was buy the console and you play. now there is all sorts of accesories and stuff.

oh i plan on picking up the elite system with the hdmi cables included and the 120 gig hd. but the 360 doesnt have wireless right? seems strange considering the wii has that and is half the price.

basicly do i need to get rechargeable battery packs? charger kit? anything else when i go? i think im going to pick up call of duty 3 and mlb2k7 for my first games, if anything else i should get let me know.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: xbox 360, what do i need, how much?

The 360 has wireless controllers, but not built-in wi-fi for going online. They sell a $100 wireless internet adapter that's basically plug n' play (but only useful if you already have a wireless router). You can save some money by setting up your own wireless hub (you can get one for ~$50 now), but it's a little bit more of a pain.

You'll probably want at least one "play and charge" kit, which is basically a rechargeable battery pack for the controller, with a cable that connects to the xbox, so you can keep playing while it recharges. Otherwise the wireless controllers use AA batteries.

That's pretty much all you need, and you don't even really need the wi-fi adapter if you don't care about going online (but you'll probably want to at some point - xbox live is pretty awesome and there's a lot you can do even if you don't get a paid subscription).
Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 AM

ya im definitely going to be playing online. so this is getting expensive if i have to buy
controller ($50)
wireless adapter ($100)
play and charge kit ($70)
xbox ($480)
2 games ($60)

damn this is going to be expensive.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:22 AM

you don't have to get the wireless adapter, i have mine hooked up with an ethernet cable.

it comes with a wireless controller and if you want to get a second one i would probably go with a wired one.

you can get a battery and play and charge adapater for under 30 dollars on amazon.

buy some points for live. there are some really fun games on live arcade.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:23 AM

play and charge kit is only like 20 at the most
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 AM

I'd try ebay, I paid $400 and shipping for a new xbox 360 premium, with an extra slightly used wireless controller, 3 great games, 1 crap game, extra headset, and a fan accessory: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

BTW Gears of War is a must have for the 360. Also if you connect it to a computer or laptop, you can just share the connection from your PC.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 AM

If you're worried about the price then look at craigslist. You can usually get a premium + games + controller(s) for around 400. There's also no need for a wireless adapter and you can pick up a standard AA battery charger for like $10. You should definitely be able to get a great setup for under 500 - and you could seperately purchase the 120gig separately later. HDMI is gimmicky for now, so don't let that be a selling point of the elite.

If you don't like used hardware, you can often find deals online for premiums + games under 400 as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 AM

yeah i got a wireless adapter(20bucks on ebay) for my desktop and moved the modem router to behind my hdtv, dodged the bullet of the 100 dollar wireless adapter.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:37 PM

This is all you need to play live on XBOX. I was contemplating getting a wireless adaptor also but no way is it worth it when you can get this for $6.18.
AMAZON CABLE