Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Isnt Frank supossed to have a bill out today?

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of authoritarian interests that still get things like 1984, Harry Potter, and To Kill a Mockingbird banned in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who and where?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:37 PM

I'm guessing grade and high schools Kid.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 PM

I think he means that they're trying. And while there may not be a clear and present danger that our public libraries will be overrun by book banners, the libraries do get enough complaints that the American Library Association has a multi-step formal challenge process

People have been trying to get Harry Potter yanked for years because the books "promote occult practices." When I was a kid, they went after Madeline L'Engle on similar grounds. Even the outer fringe of the PC crowd gets in on the act every so often; they just recently went after either Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer (can't remember which) because of the abundant use of the n-word. Never mind context or intent. Some people have no critical faculty.

And for kicks, here is the American Library Association's page on recent book challenges. Among the most challenged authors since 1990 are such dangerous perverts as Judy Blume, J.K. Rowling, John Steinbeck, R.L. Stine, and Maya Angelou. It doesn't look like very many challenges came close to success, but there are individuals and groups out there who try to limit what I can and cannot read at my local library. That was the only point that Frank was trying to make.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's sad but true - not only on taxes, but the entire redistributionist mindset, and the movement of economic rights and property from the private sector to the government. Yes, the battle has been largely lost in this area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm terrible at debate, and this clearly belongs in the Politics forum, so you can have the last word on this. But how can the anti-redistributionist battle be lost when the gap between the haves and the have-nots, and the concentration of wealth in the hands of a few, has never been greater?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably does, but since this is a civil discussion I'm going to leave it here. You guys are actually debating substance, which doesn't happen too often in the politics forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Getting back to Frank and his bill...

Is there a number yet for this bill? Something like HR xxxx. I ask because it is best to reference a specific piece of legislation when contacting members of Congress. If there was a bill number, it would make communication with Congress much more effective and easier.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Good question? Or a ETA on the date of release?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's sad but true - not only on taxes, but the entire redistributionist mindset, and the movement of economic rights and property from the private sector to the government. Yes, the battle has been largely lost in this area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm terrible at debate, and this clearly belongs in the Politics forum, so you can have the last word on this. But how can the anti-redistributionist battle be lost when the gap between the haves and the have-nots, and the concentration of wealth in the hands of a few, has never been greater?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably does, but since this is a civil discussion I'm going to leave it here. You guys are actually debating substance, which doesn't happen too often in the politics forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'm used to the zoo - as for civility, spelling and grammar, this forum is a dream come true! I may never go back ...