Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: IF TIME NEVER EXISTED!

[ QUOTE ]

But, inside some black holes it might exist places where the shape of space-time is such that you actually could move in space without moving in time

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know the inside of black holes were so hospitable! How's the market these days?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did not know the inside of black holes were so hospitable! How's the market these days?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not good. The lower end is collapsing. I wouldnt buy in the near future.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:35 PM

relaxfull?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not good. The lower end is collapsing. I wouldnt buy in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM

I'm thinking I'm answering literally to a philisophical question.
I just try to play the best poker I know how at the time I'm sitting there. This is all you can do.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 PM

If time didn't exist you could c/r the river and fold the flop.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If time didn't exist you could c/r the river and fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Stars does something like this. Reverse causality seems to be the norm there. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Without time, everything would happen all at once. It would have happened already, finished. My head hurts.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 AM

Time is another dimension just like any other. One thing I find particularly fascinating about time is the symmetry around causality. If we observe a baseball pitch and hit going 'backwards' in time in the classical sense, we are forced to conclude that the hit caused the pitch instead of the other way around. Only in knowing outside knowledge about the 'correct' flow of time can we decide that the pitch caused the hit - and that is an arbitrary decision at best.

If just for entertainment, consider yourself as a photon. Time is frozen and you are no more in control of your propagation through space than a person is in control of his or her propagation through time. Perhaps it's just as likely that consciousness manifests itself as a function of space as it is time. In which case space becomes how that consciousness defines time as it becomes the universal independent variable.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM

I view time as the difference between chaos and perfection.

As opposed to using entropy as the "arrow of time". I interpret that as saying life is naturally progressing towards chaos, as opposed to evolving towards stable forms.

If the Big Bang was the beginning of time, then at that moment energy was dense and chaotic. As time progressed, the energy spread out becoming more stable and more coherent (i.e. particles with lower rest-mass energy). These particles then combine to form complex self-similar systems, always increasing the coherency.

When particle accelerators reveal short lived particles that quickly decay into a stable form, it seems it is like looking back in time.

The only form of infinite time a human experiences is a dream. It's possible that a reality of infinite time does exist. Once energy has evolved to the point of maximum coherency (i.e. superconducting), perhaps reality becomes like a lucid dream. Thus, our particles evolve/decompose into more stable forms -- the electron goes the way of the muon and tauon (e.g. a bosonic electron emerges).

On an economical level, with room temperature superconductors most of the work humans do would no longer be required. If energy is a function of time and there’s no need for energy, there’d be no time essentially.

On a spiritual level, for a human to be “superconducting” they have to exist in an enlightened state of oneness with all that is. I'll leave that for another time but there is an ancient book that does explain, in a sense, the physics of Heaven.