Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Any Words of Wisdom?

Dagaco,
My advice again, is to post hands for review. Try posting something like 2 hands. Maybe your biggest winning hand, and your biggest losing hand, or your most confusing hand, and your most confidently played hand from a session. Do NOT include results. Read the stickies from the SSNL forum.

Quit posting lame bad beat rants. Beating your dog would probably be more productive.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:18 AM

I dont think I'll beat my dog. I quite like him. And if my rants are so bad dont read them or post.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take some time off.

[/ QUOTE ]

....hard to do when you love poker.

[ QUOTE ]
You will pick up things and start to see trends

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you take a break you often find you`re slightly out of touch with the current trends which can be expensive till you spot them again
Instead you could try avoiding coinflips if you feel you`re always coming off worse.

Not totally, i mean look closely at whether you NEED to be involved in this with your AKo or whatever

You currently Know that the best hand doesn`t always win the flips. Often good players don`t take their 55/45 edge.
i suggest if its going to damage you mentally or interms of your stack you perhaps pass up a few preflop all in opportunities, see how it goes

Good Luck
Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Raju you are spot on. Just managed 5th in a MTT by following what you said - by generally avoiding coin flips. I had one on the way to the final table and the one that knocked me out. My flop game is shocking i think thats why I push alot. But every day is a school day.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 AM

thats great to hear Dagaco,
Stick with it man cos bingo sucks
Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 AM

I have to agree with ItalianFX. Take some time to rest. our minds are overworked a lot in poker. yeah, this is the game we play, but it's tough on us. Other than that, just be the best student that you can be (which, from the sounds of it, is what you are doing). Your time will come.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Dagaco,

Just my two penny's worth......

Poker is a tough, tough game- at any level.

A few months after I first started playing I ran hot and thought I was the man at poker!!! That was December 05. Then I realised that I knew ziltch about the game.

Poker really is (for the majority of poker students) a labour of love. Some days you will absolutely HATE it- you'll want to smash you PC, etc

The next day, it'll be the best thing in your life.

As you gain more experience, you'll start to see a slightly bigger picture. As you continue with it, the picture gets bigger. The secret is to keep pro-actively studying to make that picture become larger all the time.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Poker Plan,

Sounds all too familiar. The first site I played at (UB) I ran hot and won a fair bit, then slowly it all disappeared once I was hooked ( I'm sure some conspiracy theorists would have something to say here).

Im am trying to see my game as long term, embracing the bigger picture. I'm currently hating it just for the record.

Thanks for your two pennies worth - all the best
Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently hating it just for the record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you MUST, MUST take a break.

Playing when you're not in the correct mental state (for whatever reason) is a MASSIVE leak. Be as disciplined with your mental state as you are with the rest of your game- it's CRUCIAL.

Poker's not going ANYWHERE. It'll still be there when you come back- but the difference is you'll ENJOY it, rather than hating it.

I say it AGAIN: If you're not in the correct frame of mind (be totally honest with yourself)- LEAVE the game well alone.

All the best,
Ian
Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 PM

If you're running bad, it's probably affecting your game. Even small changes can create leaks that you're not aware of. Sitting out 'til your blood pressure returns to normal is a good idea. But about those leaks: I would recommend playing Turbo Texas Hold'em. Serious Sid may be able to identify the source of your difficulties -- and it's free (for the cost of the program).

Cheers