Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:49 AM

Default $10: unpaired AK in RR pot = crazy time!

villain was 17/10/2.5 over 30 hands.

Rate my play:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool

~100bb eff stacks

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1.2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.55) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9.4</font>

note I bet on the flop hoping I wouldn't have to but being prepared to RR all in. spew? meh? genius? comments on both streets appreciated: i am a donk in RR pots...
Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: $10: unpaired AK in RR pot = crazy time!

He reraises, most of the time that's AK/AA/KK if you don't have any other reads (and he's not that aggressive) --&gt; you're lucky if you get half of the pot.

More likely: you're up against a pair and have 0 to 6 outs and no FE, not good.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Eugh major spew. Villian isn't folding after reraising flop at this level + he's getting odds to call with pretty much anything. Chk fold flop
Old 04-23-2007, 11:05 AM

I don't understand. First although 30 hands isn't a lot, he only enters 17% of pots voluntarily, then he has 3bet reraised preflop and on the flop, wouldn't you say he is trying to tell you something? I agree with the 1st poster who answered your OP. AA, KK or AK. You're likely behind and a coinflip at best. And going back to my earlier point, 30 hands isn't a lot so why not wait till you have a better read on villain. Maybe you can find a better spot to take his money later.

General comments to the forum, I see a lot of people plaing AK like the OP when they hit nothing. Am I missing something? I'm still a noob.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 AM

c/f flop
Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 AM

cheers, agree with check-fold flop. like I say, I am a RR pot donkey. this actually isn't so bad if QQ and AK are in his range, but I agree that AA/KK are pretty much his holdings after flop raise. are some posters hinting i should fold to the 3bet preflop?

Ruffnexx: although I'm not trying to justify my play here, AK is often played quite hard because it balances well with the times when we have AA/KK, and it does well when it can see all 5 cards. It's a bit like playing a combo draw in the same way as a monster.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM

Yea, bozzer, I agree about playing AK to see all 5 cards. The problem I have in this situation is the 3bet reraise preflop, then on the flop and the limited history of opponent. If this was a min raise by a LAG on which I had some history to get a hint at his range I probably would've just gone all in on the flop. If he was a maniac I might have gone all in preflop. Those two actions would've made sure I saw all 5 cards. I'm curious to hear what others think as I could be persuaded to do otherwise.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM

This is a very tough spot. We absolutely need to hit the flop in order to be able to play. We have 6 outs at best. He doesn't reraise w AQ, or at least, we don't know it yet, and his stats look really good for NL10.

Is folding this pf really too weak, even though we know that we'll be in an impossible spot postflop very often? AK is a hand where i want position and the initiative.. and we have neither.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM

I don't think folding to the 3-b preflop is a good idea. But one alternative line some of the more aggressive players take take preflop is 4b-shoving since it might have a chance of folding out one of the hands that's a slight favorite vs. you (this works better if your image isn't loose; you have a good table image.)

Well, on this flop, I would still mix up c-betting lead, because there's a chance that you might fold out another hand that has OC's and missed. Once he raises, you have to be done with the hand, because you do not have the str to play for stacks against someone with his range.