Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Default 5-bet Value raising w/AA - Is there a way to do it w/o pushing?

Villain is a fairly nitty TAG. 13/11.5/4 over almost 200 hands. A rotation earlier, I flatcalled w/AJs on the button (SB and BB tagged along) and hit the nut flush on the flop. He bet, I raised, he pushed w/KK no flush draw. In any case, I don't know if he gives me credit, but he says he folded JJ here. Is there an amount I can raise without giving him the odds to call but not pushing him all in scaring him away? It's hard to believe he actually had JJ if he wasn't ready to believe me but he still folded in the end.

Party Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.50/$1 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $275.95</font>
BB: $106.45
UTG: $62.96
MP: $126.55
CO: $182.05
BTN: $100

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $3</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $13</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $30</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $100</font>, BTN folds

Pot Size: $131
Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: 5-bet Value raising w/AA - Is there a way to do it w/o pushing?

Cold calling the 4bet is ok but I usually just shove.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 AM

I dont get it. You put him all in, except you didn't actually shove your whole stack. But its still the same thing.

Shoving your entire stack looks weaker and more like AK imo.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: 5-bet Value raising w/AA - Is there a way to do it w/o pushig?

Any 5 bet that isn't a shove with these stacks screams strength. If he really folded JJ, that's pretty terrible on his end. The only hands he should be 4 betting like that and folding to a push are bluffs. If you're 4 betting AK/JJ you're doing it with the intention of calling a push, otherwise you're just turning your hand into a bluff.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 AM

I wanted to know if I can make a 5-bet raise that isn't putting my opponent all-in. I did put him all-in here, I'm asking if there was a way that I could entice him to call for a certain amount more than just flat-calling.

Essentially, my question is:

Is there is a move with 100BB stacks that entails a 5-bet that isn't a push.

Edit: Thanks Aisle, you make sense. Tell me, why is folding JJ here bad if you know villain is only 5-betting all-in w/AA/KK? He doesn't actually have the odds to call.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 AM

Nope, it just screams strength. I guess you could have min-raised actually, but anybody with a pulse knows what you are up to.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to know if I can make a 5-bet raise that isn't putting my opponent all-in. I did put him all-in here, I'm asking if there was a way that I could entice him to call for a certain amount more than just flat-calling.

Essentially, my question is:

Is there is a move with 100BB stacks that entails a 5-bet that isn't a push.

Edit: Thanks Aisle, you make sense. Tell me, why is folding JJ here bad if you know villain is only 5-betting all-in w/AA/KK? He doesn't actually have the odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he's only shoving with QQ+, then 4 betting JJ just folds out everything we beat (TT/AK) while we never get any better hands to fold (QQ occasionally, perhaps). 4 betting JJ is not always a bad play, but if you do it you're doing it because you think he will stack off with worse, aka instacalling if he shoves. You usually need a lot of history or a crazy image for 4 betting JJ to be a profitable play.

Here's another example, a bit extreme but gets the point across. BB is a super nit, and only gets it all in preflop with AA. His 3 betting range is purely QQ+ and never anything else. Also, he will fold everything but AA to a 4 bet, both QQ and KK.

You open UTG with KK, he 3 bets in the BB. What should we do? If you 4 bet, he is going to fold QQ/KK, but call/shove with AA. So 4-betting doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If you call, he'll likely make a big committing bet with QQ+ on most boards, and he will be hard pressed to fold his QQ on a raggedy flop with most of his chips committed. If folding KK in our spot is never an option (pretty reasonable), then 4 betting is a clear mistake. Our only option is to call and get it on on any flop that doesn't contain a A/Q.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Maybe its because i´m new here but is raising to like 80 - giving him the chance to push - that wrong?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because i´m new here but is raising to like 80 - giving him the chance to push - that wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything it shows more strength. He knows he doesn't have fold equity.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 AM

Push it in. Calling is not good against this type.