Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Overrated accomplishments/achievments

Word up on the "child as accomplishment" tip.

IMNSHO, it is NOT an accomplishment to base your self-esteem on your own inability to feel fulfilled without adding to an alread maxxed-out planet.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 AM

I think parent accomplishment bragging is even worse, because at least you can claim that you had a role in raising the honor student or whatever. People who are legitimately proud of how rich/important their parents are need to be sterilized.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 AM

Duke,

Have you ever ran a marathon? B/c you are posting as if you have no idea on the subject. First, it is extremely rare for someone to just roll out of bed w/o training for one and complete it. Next, you can't actually just walk the marathon at a snail's pace b/c the next pace marker is set for a certain pace and if you aren't there at the max pace allowed that part of the race is closed off. Now don't get me wrong it takes a slow mf'er to not make it, but this is relative.

To run a marathon in 4:30 that is a 10:23 pace. So you know, for a lady that is pretty good. When running a marathon there is the elite runners and there pace is ridiculous but their VO2 max levels are at a genetically gifted level that is so high that the normal person, no matter how athletic and how hard you train you could never attain their ability to endurance run. They simply have a higher capacity to transport oxygen throughout their body.

The "regular" runners work their ass off and some of the better "regular" runners can run at a 7 minute pace but the majority of the marathon can't keep that pace for 26 miles. Even the experts strongly advise ALL casual runners to walk into every water station and to take occasional walk breaks, I could explain why but this post could get REALLY long. Just so you know 4:30 isn't a leisure stroll through the city for 26 miles, it is actually pushing yourself. It is when you get to the 6 and 7 hour people where it is puzzling as to why they are even doing it...but hey I always think that at least they aren't sitting on the couch eating potato chips complaining about other people--they are trying to make a difference in their life. That is the problem with most people, they are more concerned with what others are doing instead of themselves so it makes it real easy to put other people's accomplishments down.

To the poster that said winning the Tour de France, please tell me you are just leveling?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke,

Have you ever ran a marathon? B/c you are posting as if you have no idea on the subject. First, it is extremely rare for someone to just roll out of bed w/o training for one and complete it. Next, you can't actually just walk the marathon at a snail's pace b/c the next pace marker is set for a certain pace and if you aren't there at the max pace allowed that part of the race is closed off. Now don't get me wrong it takes a slow mf'er to not make it, but this is relative.

To run a marathon in 4:30 that is a 10:23 pace. So you know, for a lady that is pretty good. When running a marathon there is the elite runners and there pace is ridiculous but their VO2 max levels are at a genetically gifted level that is so high that the normal person, no matter how athletic and how hard you train you could never attain their ability to endurance run. They simply have a higher capacity to transport oxygen throughout their body.

The "regular" runners work their ass off and some of the better "regular" runners can run at a 7 minute pace but the majority of the marathon can't keep that pace for 26 miles. Even the experts strongly advise ALL casual runners to walk into every water station and to take occasional walk breaks, I could explain why but this post could get REALLY long. Just so you know 4:30 isn't a leisure stroll through the city for 26 miles, it is actually pushing yourself. It is when you get to the 6 and 7 hour people where it is puzzling as to why they are even doing it...but hey I always think that at least they aren't sitting on the couch eating potato chips complaining about other people--they are trying to make a difference in their life. That is the problem with most people, they are more concerned with what others are doing instead of themselves so it makes it real easy to put other people's accomplishments down.

To the poster that said winning the Tour de France, please tell me you are just leveling?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't. And no, I don't think a normal person who doesn't train could run a 4:30, either. I'm willing to bet, though, that the typical 2+2er could "run" one tomorrow and not come in last place. They could walk for most of it and still not be dead last.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've just been leveled.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 AM

Great post tdarko.

A lot of twoplustwoers are very intelligent people, and they have the ability to accomplish great things. This kind of person often takes for granted accomplishments that the average person would be SO proud of. Graduating from college means a lot to me, as it has been a struggle.

Maybe to a lot of these people, having a threesome with two HB9s would be considered a great accomplishment, because when they try to imagine themselves achieving it, they simply can't. Think of something you feel is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to do right now. For me, running a marathon at 4:30 right now would be absolutely impossible. It would take me a lot of hard work and sacrifice to achieve that goal, but if I really had the dedication and motivation I'd say I'm nearly a lock to be able to do it eventually. Does that mean it is not a great accomplishment? Of course not.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke,

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is exactly on point, in LA at least the male winner is almost always a kenyan, if not that then another african country close to it, and the female winner is an eastern european woman. there is a genetic difference that 99+% of people just dont have. i have ridden in a side car on the course along side the lead elite men's runners and it is astounding, i cannot run one 5-6 minute mile if my life depended on it, but these guys do that 26 times over. if you middle aged and roll out of bed and try to do a marathon and arent in great shape, you are at a legitimate health risk. i think this thread is unfair because accomplishments are really dependent on the person. to some people it might be a huge accomplishment to get into a good school, to others making a lot of money is the biggest accomplishment.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:03 AM

quitting the ganj for summer internship
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, let me make this simpler. Running a marathon is not a huge accomplishment because nearly anyone who isn't a cripple can sign up and do it right now. But it is very difficult, like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for an hour. It's painful and tough to endure, but not something that you even need to train for to complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.

Unless you allow like 24 hours for completion.

Set an 8 hour cap, which is 18+minutes per mile and I bet less than 50% of people on this board could finish.

You are grossly overstating how easy it is. It may not be the accomplishment of a lifetime, but its not in the same category of "overratedness" as some of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it's possible to get everyone here to run a marathon at the same time, but I'd want to put some sort of wager on 50% of the people being able to finish in less than 8 hours, including the smokers.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Good grades in HS.